antonio . dolcetta on Fri, 24 Nov 2006 07:03:32 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Judgement draft

From: Peter Cooper Jr. <pete+bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Antonio wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have written a draft (already wikified) for a proposal implementing
> > Judgement.
> > I would very much appreciate if you tell me what problems you can spot
> >
> > ===Selecting the Judge===
> > Upon submission of an RFJ the Administrator shall select a Judge for that
> > RFJ.
> > All Players that have voted in the last nweek, except the Player that
> > submitted the RFJ, the Administrator, and Players that have already been
> > selected as Judges for that RFJ, are eligible for selection as Judges. If
> > no Player is eligible, the Administrator is automatically selected as
> > Judge.
>
> In the past, we've allowed the submitter to designate a "defendant" for
> the CFJ that also is ineligible. That way you can make a statement like
> "Wonko didn't just win the game" and guarantee Wonko won't get assigned to
> it. Also, if I become the defendent, I probably shouldn't be the one to
> pick a Judge. (As the rules stand now, I'm just as much a player as
> everyone else and can try to win the game.)

Right, missed that.

> > ===Stepping Down===
> > the Player selected as Judge may step down from office, in this case, the
> > RFJ becomes Pending (if it not already) and a new Judge is selected by the
> > Administrator.
>
> I think you mean "if it isn't already".

Right, typo

> > ===Accepting RFJs===
> > The selected Judge shall accept eir assigned RFJ by publicly changing it's
> > state to Accepted.
>
> I think it may be a good idea to clarify that this is a Game Action, which
> then means that it has to be public by the definition of Game Action.

Done, but while we are on the matter, if we have to do this, isn't it necessary also to explicitly define "stepping down from office", the selection of a Judge, and actually everything else that happens on public lists Game actions ?
Isn't the "Text to the effect that "any player may do X" should be interpreted to mean that X is a Game Action; but such a declaration implies that only players may take the Game Action X (unless another declaration permits other Outsiders to as well)." part of rule 10 enough ?
I have gone along and made all the relevant changes, but it looks a bit silly.

> > ===Automatic Reassignement===
> > At the end of each nweek, if a RFJ has been Accepted for a whole nweek the
> > RFJ becomes Pending.
> > At the beginning of each nweek, if a RFJ is Pending the Administrator
> > shall select a new Judge for that RFJ.
>
> If the RFJ is about something fundamental to the game, we may want to stop
> the clock while we wait for the RFJ to be resolved. So, triggering these
> off of the starts and stops of nweeks might not be the best idea...

Well, I didn't want something that said "after 4 days if nothing happens, reassign the RFJ" because that way the administrator would have to track the time passed since the assignment of each RFJ separately.
But I see what you mean, once the RFJ is Accepted, if the clock is stopped, it won't get reassigned, because the nweek end will not trigger. I hadn't thought about that.
Please find a revised draft below

Version 0.2:
* spelling
* remove administrator judgment clause from rule 1-5
* added Defendants
* fixed "if it not" typo
* accepting an RFJ and a lot of other things is a Game Action
* handled reselection of judges while clock is off

{
Remove the sentence "The Administrator is the authority used to interpret the current state of the game." from rule 1-5.

Create a new rule called Judgment that reads as follows:

==Judgment==
===Request For Judgment===
Whenever there is disagreement as to the interpretation of the rules any player may submit a Request For Judgment (also called RFJ) as a Game Action.
RFJs are Game Documents that contain exactly one Statement, optionally some supporting Reasoning and optionally name a Player as Defendant for that RFJ.
RFJs automatically gain an RFJ Number upon submission. For each new RFJ, the RFJ number shall be equal to 001 or, if such Number is already in use, to the greatest existing RFJ Number incremented by one.
A RFJ is in one of the states of Pending, Accepted, Invalid and Resolved. A RFJ is initially Pending.

===Selecting the Judge===
Upon submission of an RFJ the Administrator shall as a Game Action select a Judge for that RFJ.
All Players that have voted in the last nweek, except the Player that submitted the RFJ, the Defendant if the RFJ names one, the Administrator and Players that have already been selected as Judges for that RFJ, are eligible for selection as Judges. If no Player is eligible, the Administrator is automatically selected as Judge.

===Stepping Down===
the Player selected as Judge may as a Game Action, step down from office, in this case, the RFJ becomes Pending (if it is not already) and a new Judge is selected by the Administrator.

===Accepting RFJs===
The selected Judge shall as a Game Action accept eir assigned RFJ by changing it's state to Accepted.
The selected Judge may also change the RFJ's state to Invalid, if e considers the contained Statement to be unclear, ambiguous, or just random gibberish.

===Rendering Judgment===
Once an RFJ is Accepted, the selected Judge shall as a Game Action render Judgment on it to the best of eir knowledge of the Rules. Judgment shall conform to these possibilities:
* TRUE: the statement contained in the RFJ is true.
* FALSE: the statement contained in the RFJ is false.
The Judge may also submit his own Reasoning, explaining how eir interpretation of the Rules has led to Judgment.
Once Judgment is rendered, the state of the RFJ becomes Resolved.

===The Whole Point===
Resolved RFJs shall guide further interpretation of the Rules.

===Automatic Reassignment===
At the end of each nweek, if a RFJ has been Accepted for a whole nweek the RFJ becomes Pending.
At the beginning of each nweek, if a RFJ is Pending the Administrator shall select a new Judge for that RFJ.
In the event that the clock is off, every 10 ndelays all Accepted RFJs become Pending and all Pending RFJs are reassigned to a new Judge.