Joel Uckelman on Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:58:59 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] What news?

Thus spake "Daniel Peter Lepage":

> >> Welcome back. Maybe you're sent by fate to restore the game in its time
> >> of
> >> need? Or maybe you're attracted by the smell of death and decay?
> >
> > Only time will tell. On an unrelated note, did you guys save any of my
> > T-shirts across the resets? :)
>
> I'm afraid not. I think t-shirts died in the major reset of Nweek 84,
> during which we scaled back the rules almost as far as they could go. It
> was the first time in all of B Nomic's history that the entire ruleset fit
> on fewer than 10 single-sided pages.
>
> The refresh prop at
> http://lists.ellipsis.cx/archives/spoon-business/spoon-business-200504/msg000
> 20.html
> contains the entire ruleset we put in place.
>
> But despite the lack of rule-defined t-shirts, B Nomic t-shirts do exist!
> I just checked, and Teucer's old Cafepress shop is still there. At
> http://www.cafepress.com/bnomic you can buy a shirt that says "B Nomic
> players do it in Public."
>
> Ah, the good old days.
>
> >> The only problem with Mediawiki is that we already have code in Python
> >> that runs on MoinMoin; all of it will need to be replaced. I can't do
> >> that
> >> because I don't know much PHP.
> >
> > The mediawiki PHP isn't too bad; spend an hour or so studying some of
> > the simpler special pages code and you ought to get the hang of it.
>
> Yeah, but it's still not as much fun as coding in Python :D
>
> I suppose we could get PIP or something
> (http://www.csh.rit.edu/~jon/projects/pip/) to combine the two...
>
> >> Also, does MediaWiki support anything like the TwikiDrawPlugin for
> >> editing
> >> image maps via an embedded java program? MoinMoin recently added support
> >> for this plugin, which would be very useful for things like The House.
> >
> > Not as far as I know, but, would a table, or some divs, or something
> > be sufficient? I didn't manage to see the rules before the server
> > imploded though, so I don't know what this "House" is.
>
> The House is a collection of Rooms, each of which has its own rules and
> any number of exits to other rooms. The ideal way to represent it is as a
> network of boxes or circles with lines showing the connections between
> them, and I don't think we could do that with tables and divs.

It would be easy to write a GraphViz script to represent the House, since
it sounds like the House is an undirected graph. (GraphViz produces
beautiful output in a variety of formats.)

--
J.