Daniel Lepage on Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:16:57 -0600 (CST)

[s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] FishFace votes

On Dec 20, 2005, at 3:21 PM, automailer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Motion 313/0: Superpowers, Take 3 (4?)                 : For
For, although again, I don't know whether there's much point. For me, HH doesn't really entice because it doesn't go anywhere, though. (Sure, you can fight and try to gain superiority, but if you kill someone, it's pretty crappy on them)

I'm not sure what you mean by "it doesn't go anywhere". One could say the same thing about the whole game, but we play anyway just for the fun of it. You're saying that you don't enjoy playing the HH subgame, or you just don't see any real goal to the game yet?

I do have a goal in mind, but to do this properly we'll need to streamline the movement of objects within the House. The current setup isn't sufficient because it's too difficult to see how the positions of everyone tie together. My proposed subgame is this:

First, we create some simple Zombies that wander the House at random. Anyone can fight these Zombies, and defeating a Zombie gives you a random Super Power. If you already have a Super Power, then it presents you with a random one and you can choose whether or not to accept it. Zombies behave like players in that they have the 6 stats, Action Points, etc., but they move and attack at random.

Then, we create a special class of Super Power, Nemesis Powers. At any given time, there can be at most one player with a Nemesis Power. The Nemesis doesn't get to change eir power, except by dying. But the Power that e gets is really, really strong compared to all the others. Furthermore, e gets points whenever anyone else dies, and eir Power may specify other conditions where e gets lots of points. However, everyone else gets lots of points if the Nemesis dies, so there's a strong incentive for everyone to gang up on em. The Nemesis also gets partial immunity to some powers - for example, a Stasis Field might only drain half eir AP, and a Null Field probably shouldn't have any effect.

So basically, a majority of the players are pitted against a single, much more powerful player; when the powerful player dies, some aspects of the subgame would be reset and everyone would go seeking ideal Powers again.

Some possible Nemesis powers that I've brainstormed:

{{
== Dark Lord of the Sith ==
When you enter Combat with a player, you do not cease to be In Combat with any other players [[and hence can fight many people at once]]. You may also Tackle a player in the same Room as you even while In Combat. If you would lose HP because of other players' Combat Actions, the number of HP you lose is reduced by 2 (to a minimum of 0). If another player would lose HP because of a Combat Action of yours, the number they lose is increased by 2. You may use the following Combat Actions (which only target players you're In Combat with unless specified otherwise):
Force Choke: 2AP. The targeted player loses all AP and Stands Down.
Blue Lightning: 4AP. The targeted player loses 2 AP and 10 HP.
Knock Back: 3AP. You and the targeted player each move to a Room that is an Exit of the Room you're currently in, and continue to be In Combat; you cease to be In Combat with any other players. You may only do this if both you and the targeted player could legally move to the chosen Exit were you not In Combat; any effects associated with the move (such as the damage from moving from the Upper Hallway to the Front Hall) apply to both of you as usual.
}}

{{
== Zombie Master ==
When you get this power, four Zombies are created in the Room you're in, each with 10 HP. You control all Zombies. If your Health would drop to 0 or lower while a Zombie exists, a random Zombie is chosen instead. You move to that Zombie's location and your Health becomes equal to that Zombie's Health, and then that Zombie is destroyed. 4AP, 5A: Create a Zombie at your location. You may only do this if the number of Players who died in that room within the past nweek is greater than the number of Zombies you have created in that room with this Power in the past nweek.
}}

{{
== Brute ==
As long as you have this power, your maximum Health is doubled and your Strength is increased by 12 and your Nimbleness is increased by 3. When you gain this power, your Health is doubled, and then you gain 10 HP, up to your maximum Health.
}}

{{
== Ghost ==
Any Combat that you are in is automatically Psychic Combat. In Psychic Combat, all Combat Actions that refer to a player's Strength use eir Acuity instead, and all changes to a player's Hit Points are applied to eir Calm instead. [[Cf. Telepathic Emanations]] 3A: Target player you can see loses 3 Calm. You may do this even during Combat. You have +4 to your Acuity as long as you have this power.
}}

--
Wonko

"Today, if you are not confused, you are just not thinking clearly."
     -U. Peter