Peter Cooper Jr. on Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:11:34 -0500 (CDT)

[s-d] Eligibility for Legislator of the Nweek

Wonko is currently the only Senator.
I will become a Senator at the end of the nweek.

Rule 3-17, on Legislator of the Nweek, says that "Only proposals made
by Senators can be selected this way".

I see three possible interpretations:

#1: The player must have been a Senator at the time the proposal was made.

This would mean that I am not eligible for LotN at the beginning of
next nweek, since I was not a Senator when I made my proposals that
are now being voted on. Furthermore, the proposals that I've already
made this nweek (93), which will be voted next nweek (94), won't be
counted in the eligibility for LotN for the following nweek (95).
Although, anything I propose next nweek (and probably also if I amend
any proposals next nweek, since that's resubmitting them) would be.

#2: The player must have been a Senator the prior nweek.

This would mean that I'm not eligible for LotN at the beginning of
next nweek as well, although I would be the following week, for all of
my props. This may be what was intended, but I think it's the
interpretation least supported by the text of the rule.

#3: The player needs to be a Senator at the time the LotN is chosen.

This would make all of my props this nweek, as well as Wonko's,
eligible for the LotN selection at the beginning of next nweek. (I
become a Senator at the end of this nweek according to r3-19, and the
selection is done at the beginning of next nweek according to r3-17,
and I think it's pretty reasonable that everything at the end of this
nweek has to happen before things at the beginning of next nweek).

I'm currently leaning toward the third interpretation, which obviously
benefits me the most next nweek, but I think it's also closest to
what the text of the rule says. However, if it is the third case, then
Wonko is the LotN this nweek, since e became a Senator at the end of
last nweek, and my statement at the start of the nweek that there was
no LotN this nweek was wrong.

Or maybe there's another possibility I missed. Thoughts?

--
Peter C.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it