Daniel Peter Lepage on Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:09:02 -0500 (CDT)

[s-d] Re: [s-b] Prop 161

> Spivak is new to me.
> My Webster's lists first:
> "of or relating to them or themselves esp. as possessors,
> agents or objects of an action."
> And secondly in the singular:
> "his or hers"
> I know Yahoo is the dictionary of choice,
> but I'm going to OBJECT on general principles.
> THEIR connotes plurality to me,
> and so the Spivak eir seems appropriate.

We have in general used "eir" to denote the singular only; I also feel
that "their" is more appropriate here because the spivak pronouns are
generally reserved for things which have gender but should not be
distinguished by it, whereas words have no gender. I think "their" is a
better plural for "its" than "eir" is.

--
Wonko