Daniel Lepage on Mon, 30 May 2005 00:34:40 -0500 (CDT)

[s-d] Re: [s-b] An Obvious win.

I believe there's game precedent that this doesn't work. It's been tried a couple times, and the general consensus is that Nomic is just like any other game: the state of the game only changes when the rules say it does.

There are lots of examples of this in other games. In Monopoly, for example, the rules don't forbid me from moving your piece to Jail, taking your money when you're not looking, or using loaded dice. Nevertheless, doing any of that would be considered "cheating". It's assumed that if the rules don't say you can do something, then you can't do it.

I believe the same principle applies to all games, including B Nomic.

You might ask why we ever had the All-Important Default Case in the earlier ruleset; the answer is that we had a number of attempts to do essentially the same thing you just tried, and we figured we could stop it from happening again by stating it explicitly in the rules.

It's not in the rules right now because I designed the New Initial Ruleset with the goal of removing absolutely everything that wasn't essential, and I figured the Default Case was nonessential because it was true anyway.

And I think you're right that nobody could've bought Add-Ons last nweek, because the rules at the moment don't provide any means for us to buy them.

--
Wonko