Daniel Lepage on Sun, 22 May 2005 21:01:27 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] BvS votes

On May 22, 2005, at 9.42 PM, Alex Truelsen wrote:

It's true now anyway, and there's absolutely nothing you can do to
prevent it, since if nobody notices an error then it "doesn't happen",
statute-of-limitations-style.

I just figured the rules should be honest about this.

It just smacks of institutionalized mediocrity to me. Things shouldn't be slipping through, and if they are, that should be prevented, not allowed
with a shrug.

And how do you suggest we prevent it? You want us to somehow penalize people for crimes we didn't notice; this is impossible, since we can't impose the penalty unless we know they did the crime.

We might notice later, but I for one am not willing to go back and recalculate history in light of some small error that we missed a few nweeks ago, nor do I want to be bothered by complaints about ancient proposals.

And if nobody ever notices at all, then the crime will obviously go unpunished, no matter what you put in the rules. We can either acknowledge our limitations or ignore them, and I would rather acknowledge them.

You'll note that my prop only states the fact in comment text. The actual rule text doesn't allow things to slip through any more than the current rule text does. But both do, whether we want it or not. The comment is only to make it clear that we're not going to rewrite history if you tell us in three nweeks that I mispelled "misspell".

That said, the whole issue is moot if we all pay attention so that nothing slips through. So why not have it, just to be clear?

--
Wonko

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
     -Plato