Daniel Lepage on Mon, 2 May 2005 19:25:17 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: New Subgame Idea...

On May 2, 2005, at 7.41 PM, Alex Truelsen wrote:

On 5/2/05, Peter Cooper Jr. <pete+bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Raelus <raelusaetherira@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
Also, is this relatively low activity for B Nomic, or is it always
like this?

The amount of activity I've seen in the past couple weeks is much
higher than I've seen since I joined the game, which was around the
beginning of the real-world year. Wonko once said, I think, that it
has periods of very high activity and periods of very low activity.

I believe that once shortly after I joined... probably January 2002, it was, I didn't check my e-mail for about two days and was greeted by more than 80 messages on my return. We may be approaching that level again, but it does go up and down. My guess is that this is a flare-up caused by the game's rebirth, with all kinds of new territory to stick proposals into, and that
it will begin to settle and/or become more routine.

Or not.

The two records, I believe, are two weeks with one message in them and over a hundred messages in a little under two hours.

It seems that Activity comes and goes because many players like making games but not playing them. New ideas appear, and dozens of follow-up props expand and enhance the idea, but when people stop coming up with things to add, interest wanes until one subgame gets repealed and another gets forged.

--
Wonko

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.
      -Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP Keynote Address