Alex Truelsen on Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:17:13 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] BvS submits p10

On 4/21/05, Daniel Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2005, at 8.30 PM, automailer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > BvS has submitted a new proposal, p10.
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Proposal 10/0: PUNCHAMIME
> > A Standard Proposal by BvS
> > Last modified on nweek 86, nday 4
> >
> > This proposal may also be known as "Proposal for the Unnecessary and
> > Needless Creation of Horrendous Acronyms, Making an Incentive for such
> > Moronic Endeavors."
> >
> > If proposal 5 passes, replace all instances of "English Word" in this
> > proposal with "Nomic Word," and all instances of "proposal" in this
> > proposal with "proosal."
> >
> > Add to Rule 3-4 the following paragraph:
> >
> > {{
> > When a proposal passes that creates a Game Object whose name can be
> > reduced to an acronym which is an English Word or string of English
> > Words, its Owner has eir Amplitude increased by one quarter of the
> > number of words incorporated into the acronym, rounded to the nearest
> > integer.
> > }}
> > ---------------------------------
>
> Welcome back, BvS! It's been a while.

That it has... and of course you're the first one to respond to something...

I love the idea, but I have some nitpicky questions (of course):

> 1. When you say "its Owner", do you mean the owner of the prop or the
> newly created Object?

The prop.

2. What if there are multiple ways to acronymize it? This could happen
> because the primary letters can be interpreted multiple ways (OR A DARK
> NIGHT vs O, RADAR KNIGHT) or because intermediate words may or may not
> be ignored (Wand of Everything is WE or WOE).

I'm rusty, it would seem. I was figuring that the proposer would state what
the acronym was - I'll clarify that in the prop. If you don't declare the
acronym, no one else should have to do the work of finding one.

3. Do you really want people to gain Amplitude for proposing the
> Automatic Amplitude Amplifier (A A A (or A AA))? Maybe you should
> require that at least one of the words be three letters or more.

Yeah, that's fair.

4. What about multiple objects in the same prop? This seems to suggest
> that it can only happen once per prop, but doesn't specify which object
> should be used if different scoring acronyms are used.

Really rusty... again, I'll deal with it. Remind me why I didn't just send
this to for proofreading before proposing it?

It's good to be back, though.

[[BvS]]