Daniel Lepage on Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:29:06 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: Emergency?

On Apr 6, 2005, at 12.25 PM, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:

Daniel Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
So are we in a state of emergency? I think enough players recognized
it that we should be. And even though the server is working, it might
be good to go through with the emergency on the grounds that nobody
seems to want to play, and something should be done about that.

I've recorded 6 players recognizing it out of 12, which isn't quite a
majority. I would be in favor of keeping the emergency, to transition
to a new (er, old?) server, reset the clock to be a few ndays ago, and
try to make the game more interesting.

I count seven: you, DQT, bd, Iain, Wild Card, and RW all recognized on the 4th, and I did a few days earlier.

If we don't have the players for an emergency, I wouldn't object to
the Chair using Executive Tidiness to reset the clock, and we can try
to use props to fix the game.

Well, the Clock's off 'til I send in the Ballot anyway; if I refrain from doing that for another day or two then we're in a state of emergency again >:)

We could also "overlook" the majority-of-players requirement since the
emergency rule is rather vague. For instance, I could officially
recognize only 11 players as being in the game, making a "mistake",
and then we'd have a majority of officially-recognized-outsiders so we
could start the emergency procedure. Or I could use Executive Tidiness
to change the Emergency Rule (or even the Executive Tidiness
rule). I'm not sure how good these ideas are, though.

I've always felt that it was an unwritten rule of absolutely any game at all that the players can unanimously change the gamestate at any time for any reason, as long as nobody complains, so even if we didn't have a majority of declarers, we could still argue that we can do anything we want if nobody complains.

--
Wonko

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.
      -Carlos A. Urbizo