dave on Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:21:00 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: State of Extreme Emergency

Quoting "Peter Cooper Jr." <pete+bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I guess we'll let you and Joel fight it out or something. :)

Nah, if Joel wants it, he's welcome to it.

> And nothing else can read the Sun disk format? (I'm not really
> familiar with Sun at all, so I have no idea...)

It's not that so much as the fact that the hard drives themselves are of a bit
odd form-factor. 80-pin SCSI drives.

For non-techies: Older SCSI drives are normally "68-pin" drives, and have a big
ribbon cable that looks just like an IDE cable, only wider, and a separate
power cable connection. These are 80-pin drives, that have a connector that
looks kinda a tiny printer cable connector, and they're powered through the
drive cable too instead of having a separate power cable. They're mainly
intended for "hot-swap" situations, where you might need to change hard drives
without powering down the machine first. In this case, I'm guessing Sun built
them that way to save on cabling, since the hard drives go into a really
awkward spot and it would be darn near impossible to plug in ribbon cables by
hand without three or four hands, a good set of tweezers, and a periscope.

I could buy the right kind of hardware to try and resurrect these drives, but
it'd all cost me a few hundred bucks that I'm not sure I can spare just now.
Google did thoughtfully provide a not-too-dated copy of the rules; while the
proposal histories and changelogs of the rules are possibly gone for the ages,
it's arguably better than nothing.

dave