Glotmorf on Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:09:01 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] King for a Day prop

Okay, I could see the number of dice not being adjustable, but
I don't think I accept that the value of the expression can't
be adjusted.  To me, "any number of Research Points" reads any
quantity of research points; just because that quantity is
expressed as an equation rather than a set of digits doesn't
make it any less a quantity.

Perhaps, as you said later, specifying non-function-based
quantities would be sufficient.  Otherwise I'd think modifying
the function to reflect the adjustment is just as valid as
modifying the digit string to reflect the adjustment. (Which I
think would be interesting, if messy.  Just imagine the
function steadily becoming longer over time as people adjusted
it more...:)

-- Glotmorf

On 9 Mar 2005 at 11:35, Jake Eakle wrote:

> A number of dice is not a number of research points. If there were a
> clause saying "If you get more than 100 research points in this way
> [something happens]" then that could be changed, but the die roll only
> determines how many you get, it is not an actual number of points.
> Another example would be if something said "You get research points
> equal to the number of tildex you own divided by 100" you couldn't
> change the 100. You can only change numbers, not functions.
>
> --Personman
>
> On 3/8/05 9:45 PM, "Glotmorf" <dwhytock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > About the proposed "King for a Day" rule...I really don't like the
> > idea that the arena game can have a direct result on rule changes.
> > Be that as it may, I have a question about:
> >
> > "Permanently incrementing or decrementing any number of Tildex,
> > Points, or Research Points found in the body of any Rule by up to x
> > + 2, where x is that number modulus 10."
> >
> > What does this do in the case of r1855, where the number of general
> > research points one obtains is (3d10)-3?  Could the change be
> > applied to the 10, to make it (3d12)-3?  Or could it only be applied
> > to the whole thing, making it X
> > + (X mod 10) + 2, where X=(3d10)-3?
> >
> > -- Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt