Daniel Lepage on Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:51:10 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: Judge Assignment: 15 points for DOOM!

On Feb 26, 2005, at 10.11 AM, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:

  * Since the Upper House is a collection of players, that collection
of players is now collectively the Judge of the CFI.
  * The Judge is required and empowered by the rules to judge this
CFI; hence the collection of player is as a unit empowered to issue
judgment.
  * There is only one reasonable way of getting a group of people to
issue a single decision; hence, every member of the Upper House should
submit a judgment, and once the allotted time for judging the CFI has
passed, the most popular judgment will be the House's judgment.

It seems to me that another reasonable way is to randomly pick a
person to handle the decision. This is, in fact, how the judgement
gets handled in the first place.

Having the committee handle it might run into the issue of how you
reconcile everyone's idea of what the Outcome should be.

Yeah, maybe your way is better... Except I don't like Glotmorf's Outcome, though I admit that it's mostly for selfish reasons, since eir judgment would require me to rewrite substantial portions of cards history...

This is consistent with the way the House worked prior to its
rewording, and is also consistent with the wording and spirit of the
rules.

It could be within the wording and spirit, but saying "we changed the
rules and we want to work the way it did before we changed the rules"
seems like a dangerous thing to say in a Nomic.

I wouldn't make that claim if the wording didn't at least seem to support it.

As a side note, I think that the judging system needs some revisions
anyway... Right now, I think that a judge could issue an Outcome that
removed all the rules about appealing, and could probably set emself
up as the Supreme Dictator of B Nomic. Since I have little experience
with Nomic judging systems, I'm afraid that I'd mess it up even more,
and apparently you guys have an idea of how it used to work and like
that, so I'll let somebody else Prop the changes.

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier just to have every CFI be a Proposal-like object, maybe running on a different time system so we wouldn't have to wait all nweek.

--
Wonko

It is disconcerting to reflect on the number of students we have flunked in chemistry for not knowing what we later found to be untrue.

  --quoted in Robert L. Weber, Science With a Smile (1992)