Glotmorf on Thu, 17 Feb 2005 06:41:39 -0600 (CST)

[s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] Wonko amends p1998

On 17 Feb 2005 at 4:50, automailer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Wonko has amended p1998.
>
> ---------------------------------
> Proposal 1998/2: Calling for Backup, 2.1
> A Standard Proposal by Wonko
> Last modified on nweek 79, nday 1
>
> On the list of Duties in rule 1583, add
> {{
> C.3. The Backup Duty
>
> The Backup Duty becomes active whenever a Minister has failed to
> fulfill one of eir duties for four or more ndays. To fulfill the
> Backup Duty, a player can and must perform said duties. The Perk for
> fulfilling the Backup Duty is nothing.
>
> }}
>
> [[
> Without the perk, this rule becomes about a tenth as long. Now there's
> no incentive to delay ministers for points, nor is there any way to
> scam 20 points out of an abandoned ministry. ]]
>
> [[
> Now with 80% more explicit empowerment!
> ]]

"Can and must" is a peculiar phrasing.  I understand what
you're trying to say: that in order to be able to say e
performed the Backup Duty a player must actually perform them.
But "must" implies an "or else something happens;" is the "or
else" simply that the player cannot claim to have performed
the Backup Duty?  And is there fair confidence that this
cannot be interpreted as meaning it is mandatory for all
players to perform Backup Duty if it exists?  As in, "The game
stops NOW until SOMEONE performs this here duty!"?

Pity about the lost perk, but I can understand the scam
avoidance desire.

-- Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt