Glotmorf on Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:20:21 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Wiki Spam

On 2 Feb 2005 at 15:02, Joel Uckelman wrote:

> Thus spake pete+bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> > The amount of Wiki spam has been increasing. Can we add ACLs, to at
> > the very least require registration before editing? (I've started to
> > learn MoinMoin's ACL system if whoever's running it needs help.)
>
> <plug type="shameless">
> I've started doing PhpWiki development again. When I upgraded the
> Nomic Wiki to the current version, wiki spam went from endemic to near
> zero overnight. The key thing for the Nomic Wiki was prohibiting edits
> that add more than n external links, with n small enough to thwart
> spam bots and large enough not to annoy real users. PhpWiki now does
> that by default. </plug>

Just got this far in my back-reading.  I've been getting spam
on the Movable Type blog I keep on nomic.net too.  Given that
a bot would have to be tailored to specific types of wiki/blog
in order to spam it, how the hell are they finding their
targets?

-- Glotmorf
-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt