Daniel Lepage on Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:37:22 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] CFI assignment

On Jan 6, 2005, at 5.26 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 04:52:05PM -0500, Daniel Lepage wrote:

On Jan 5, 2005, at 4.46 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 04:25:34PM -0500, Daniel Lepage wrote:

The actions happen in the order e takes them. So, first "Foo Bar"
sends
an html message to the forum, then e becomes a player, and then e
makes
a proposal. My point is that the act of posting the message
necessarily
happens before the actions within the message take effect.

My point is that they happen simultaneously. At the instant Foo
Bar's message hits the forum, everything in it takes effect.

Right, but the crime isn't an action in the message, it's the act of
sending the message itself, which happens before the message reaches
the forum.

Oh, I see what you meant in that CFI now. No, the crime occurs at
the instant the message reaches the forum. The crime isn't in the
act of typing the message and pressing "send", which the game has
no jurisdiction over; only actions can be criminalized, and the
action occurs when the message gets to the forum.

Only Actions can be *prevented* by the rules, but the rules can react to anything they want. If we make a rule penalizing people for wearing pointy hats with corks tied to them, and I can offer reasonable proof that you wore a pointy hat with corks tied to it, then you'd get penalized; the thing the rules can't do is actually stop you from putting on your pointy hat with corks tied on.

The Law in this case forbids players from posting to the public forum using an HTML message, and so the crime is indeed the act of typing the message and pressing "send".

Anyway, posting a message isn't a game action regardless of which moment you look at it, so one can argue either that the Laws can only criminalize actions, in which case the HTML Act cannot have any effect, or they can criminalize whatever they want, in which case the wording of the Law makes it clear that it's the act of posting a message, not the event of it arriving once posted, that's banned.

--
Wonko

May your home always be too small to hold all of your friends.
     -Irish Blessing