Bryan Donlan on Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:51:01 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: New player

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:39:24 -0500, Peter Cooper Jr.
<pete+bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bryan Donlan <bdonlan@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > The message was a multipart MIME, with both HTML and plaintext
> > versions. Were it up to me, I'd just bounce HTML mails at the list
> > server.
>
> Well, one could argue that this would be the correct way of doing it,
> where those who wanted an HTML version could get that, and those who
> don't could get the plain text version. That's one of the points of
> multipart/alternative, I thought.

Yeah, but not everyone has a multipart-compatible mail client. And
those who don't get both plus a bunch of MIME crap.

> Speaking of mailing list conventions, does anyone object if I use
> "curly quotes" and other non-ASCII encoded in UTF-8—such as em-dashes?

UTF-8's fine with me, as long as Content-Type:'s set properly.

> Oh, and have you had the mungling-reply-to date debate yet? This
> mailing list server sets the author's reply-to, which some people
> (including me) consider somewhat broken.
>
> The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to
> choose from. :)

.deednI

--
bd