Peter Cooper Jr. on Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:58:32 -0600 (CST)

[s-d] Re: MoFP recognizer

Jeremy Cook <athena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 09:22:35PM -0500, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:
>> Bryan Donlan <bdonlan@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > Hmm... question is, is this kind of correction legal? I'm inclined to
>> > say no, as to say it is leads to abuse far too easily.
>>
>> One could argue that the second statement was a repetition of the
>> first. Much like if player A said "I water my vine" and then player
>> B says "I do that too", this would be "I pick a tomato", followed by
>> "I do it again, slowly this time."
>
> Well, I didn't say "again" or "this time". It's pretty clear I
> was trying to correct myself (but I'd go with bd's inclination).

Yeah, I suppose it was. I was just presenting an alternate
interpretation, although I probably should have just kept my mouth
shut.

bd's inclination seems fitting to me... r1896 says "Game Actions occur
upon reaching the appropriate fora, in the order they arrived", and so
since your first message reached the forum before the second, the
second couldn't modify the first.

> You're trying to get me pierced by thorns TWICE??

I was thinking that the second attempt failed due to lack of tomato,
and thus you wouldn't get pierced again. But then again, I'm new to
all this. I wasn't trying to be mean to you here...

> I'll prop a change to the Picking mechanism: I think the thorns
> should be probabilistic. The current system doesn't make sense:
> Picking unSlowly is always equivalent to losing 8 points.

I'd vote for that. I'd also think that after going through all the
trouble of getting scratched up, you should probably at least get the
fruit you were going after (or at least have a chance at it).

--
Peter C.
"There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale