Daniel Lepage on Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:56:27 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] Ultima Loophole! (v2.0)

On Dec 22, 2004, at 1.13 PM, Dan Schmidt wrote:

First, declaring something doesn't make it true.
Second, under r11/5 my rule gets put in the ruleset.
Third, if this loophole doesn't work then someone
might figure out how to activate the LOIDAC and we'd
have Infinite Destruction And Chaos.

When a word is defined in the ruleset, that definition overrides any standard definition that word might have had (there's game precedent for this, roughly three years worth of it). Since the word 'rule' is defined in the rules, what one might call a 'rule' in a different game isn't a rule as far as B Nomic is concerned. So while your loophole society has rules in the standard english sense, it doesn't have anything that we of B Nomic would consider rules for the purposes of our game.

Our rules exist originally by mutual consent - a bunch of players got together and said "we proclaim these rules to be The Rules of B Nomic", about three years ago. Since then, our rules have been only those documents specifically made into rules by the other rules; your loophole game's rules don't count.

Oh, and I don't think there's anything you can do that will cause Infinite Destruction, since there's no such thing under the current rules. And once upon a time, when there was Destruction, we tried having infinite quantities of it, and also undefined and indefinite quantities. And then we did the same with scores and all other numerical quantities, and even a few rules, just to be safe. If you've found a loophole worse than that, I'll be very, very surprised.

--
Wonko

& ) . . /