Daniel Lepage on Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:34:47 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] <no subject>

I create a Squid at A2. I maintain that I can do this due to the following line:

You may only make a Squid upon the edges of the board.

Since one can only create pieces on the edge of the board anyway, this line seems to grant permission to create them anywhere along the edges of the
board. I also maintain that since there is nothing to the left of the
leftmost side of the board, the Squid's move cannot be made, and thus it
will stay where it is until destroyed.

If one rule says 'you can do X on any of the following squares: {list of squares}" and another rule says 'you can only do X on edge squares", I would interpret that to mean that you can do X on any of the squares in the first list that are also edge squares, NOT that the later clause supersedes the first

--
Wonko

"Tradition is what you resort to when you don't have the time or the money to do it right."
     -Kurt Herbert Alder