Daniel Lepage on Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:55:23 -0600 (CST)

[s-d] Re: [s-b] General Recognizer

On Oct 31, 2004, at 9.56 AM, Dan Schmidt wrote:

Your forgeting about rule 2/4:
All distinguishable Game Objects should have unique
identifiers. Objects indistinguishable from each other
need not have separate identifiers [[So a players
points don't need to be named separately, but
different players do]].
An abbreviation or nickname for an object may be used
in place of its identifier provided that the context
makes it unambiguous which object is being referred
to.
So the second loophole does work.

Fair enough.
However, I still don't think the scam worked quite the way you wanted it to.

The problem is that when you forfeit the game, you don't cease to be a Game Object. You just become a Lost Soul, a Game Object that has pretty much no effect. Upon rejoining, therefore, you're not a new player, you're just the same player again. Which means, I would think, that you haven't 'reentered' the game, you've only 'rejoined'. It's more like reactivating an old email account than getting a new one.

As a result, you can't draw a card immediately after rejoining, because you already drew one, even though you turned into a Lost Soul briefly since then.

You also won't get another 500~, as you didn't enter the game again, you just turned your Lost Soul back into a Player.

So effectively, the scam did nothing - you gave all your ~, points, and cards to your society, you left, rejoined, drew a card, gave it to the society, and then quit and rejoined many, many times without getting anything to give each time.

The end result is no different than if you had simply drawn a card.

--
Wonko

Your food stamps will be stopped effective March 1992 because we received notice that you passed away. May God bless you. You may reapply if there is a change in your circumstances.
  ---Department of Social Services,  Greenville, South Carolina