Jeremy Cook on Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:14:27 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] Nweek 71 Ballot

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 12:49:21AM -0400, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2004, at 12.02 AM, Jeremy Cook wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:35:40PM -0400, Daniel Lepage wrote:
> >> Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why you prefer to vote to
> >> spoon-business instead of through the wiki?
> >
> > <rant>
> > </rant>
>
> Well, adding comments to the votes page wouldn't be too hard, and in
> fact I was thinking of doing that anyway to provide a general interface
> for things that can't be fit into the rigorous form of "YES/NO/SHELVE".
> But I gather that would not be enough to appease you.
>
> The problem is that you have different standards for what constitutes a
> "decent alternative" than I do. For me, a "decent alternative" is
> another such system where I can just click a button or type a line of
> text and something will count all the votes, award points, and give me
> a neatly formatted "nweek XX results" page.
>
> To give you the mild convenience of voting 'yeah' instead of 'YES', I
> have to go to the rather greater inconvenience of either entering all
> votes myself, or writing a fully-fledged natural language processor. My
> feeling here is that it's been taking an hour or so every nweek just to
> update all the rules and cards, and that's been with the players
> submitting only 4 or 5 short props each nweek.

I didn't realize this was such a big time issue for you, although the
Ministries will start rotating soon. If you add a comment field, I'll be
fine with turning the whole thing over to the Wiki until I build an
email interface myself. That way I can put "yeah" in the comment field.

But I still dream of a lynx with multiple screens and a bookmark window,
and that allows macros that would, for instance, let me program a key to
download and display an image, or move around with greater ease.

> Also, I'm afraid I can't agree that vi is the greatest human creation
> in all history. I'd go with the wheel, and then bubble-wrap. After that
> comes the Apple G5 Laptop, sliced bread, and warm slippers. I'd put vi
> pretty low down, as it ranks almost as poorly as Windows in terms of
> helpful documentation and intuitive commands... vim is pretty good,
> though. I still tend to use emacs for most things, because I have that
> sort of processor power to waste, and it's nice to be able to browse
> files, send email,  recompile my operating system without ever needing
> to suspend my text editor :P

There's an Apple G5 laptop?? No way!

And you have to include putting butter on warm bread ahead of sliced
bread.

Usually I mean 'vim' by 'vi'. I agree that vim is much better.

And I would be totally fine if bubble wrap entirely disappeared today.

Zarpint