Daniel Lepage on Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:44:51 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Nweek 67 Ballot

On Aug 10, 2004, at 5.44 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:

A blog, eh? Well, this could be done simply by creating a bunch of wikipages along the lines of "CommentOnProposal1885", "CommentOnProposal1886", etc. Then both the voting page and the viewing page could link to those for each prop. If we agree upon a standard delimiter to put between comments (say, '------ \n') then it would be trivial to write a macro to count the comments on a given page. Adding/editing comments would be easy then, 'cuz it'd be a wiki page.

As for email, it's possible to configure MoinMoin to allow people to 'subscribe' to pages, so that they'll be emailed whenever the page gets updated. I haven't looked into it to much, but I might be able to figure something out if you're interested in using it.

This strikes me as very ugly. I can't imagine a circumstance where a
player would not want to look at the comments on a prop. I would suggest
putting the voting boxes at the top of the page and the text of the
props at the bottom, with comments appearing after each prop. Ideally,
votes and comments would go to spoon-d. I don't understand the objection to automatically mailing votes and comments, since it worked before, but
if necessary, we could create a new list spoon-ballot.

The objection to automatically mailing comments is that I have to code it up :). The reason I suggested using the wiki was because it handles editing and adding new ones automatically; with that in place, it wouldn't be too hard to gather them via a script and spit them to s-d.

Also, I don't know exactly how the subscription system works, but I doubt it would be hard to subscribe s-d or s-b to any given page.

--
Wonko

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
                -- Buckminster Fuller