Jeremy Cook on Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:44:54 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Monty

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 02:37:15PM -0400, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2004, at 2.10 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:
>

> >Would something like the following proto-prop be helpful?
> >
> >{{
> >__Python Enterprises__
> >
> >There exists the Program List. This is a list of descriptions of python
> >(and any other requested language) scripts (or programs, etc.) that
> >would be helpful for maintaining the gamestate. An entry on the list is
> >called a Coil.
> >
> >Each Coil has the following attributes:
> >
> >Description, a precise description of the requested script.
> >
> >Patron, the Player who posted the Coil.
> >
> >Bonus, the amount that a player writing the requested script receives.
> >

> >Any player may post a Coil to the Program List by making a
> >statement to that effect in a Public Forum. Unless the Patron
> >specifies otherwise, the Bonus is 10 points.
> >
> >The Patron of a Coil may modify or delete the Coil by posting a
> >statement to that effect in a Public Forum.
> >
> >Any player may Wind any Coil on the list by posting a script to a
> >Public
> >Forum or privately sending a script to the Patron. If, in the sole
> >judgement of the Patron, the script fits the Description, the Player
> >who
> >Wound the Coil receives 10 points, and the Coil is removed from the
> >Program List.
> >
> >It is the responsibility of the Minister of the Roster to maintain the
> >Program List.
> >}}
>
> I like it, but it needs a few checks... as it stands, anybody could
> request a python script that does absolutely nothing, with a Bonus of a
> Win. Then they Wind their own Coil and Win the Game.

Yeah, we should probably insist that the script make a meaningful
contribution to maintaining the gamestate (judged by CFI if necessary)
and require the Bonus to be P points, P < B for some bound B.

> Also, much as I hate to break the complicated reference, it might be
> good to have this apply to other languages as well. PHP, PSP, even
> languages that aren't directly wiki or website related like Perl or
> Fortran could be used for some things, especially if I'm not the only
> one requesting the scripts.

That's why I put that it could be another language as well. The names
can stay until we get better ones, though.

> Well, maybe not Fortran.

I'm tempted to outlaw requests for COBOL programs just on general
principles.

Zarpint