Glotmorf on Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:29:08 -0500 (CDT)

Re: Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Renumbering CFIs

On 26 Jul 2004 at 13:37, Daniel Peter Lepage wrote:

> By the way, is there any reason why we put revision numbers on
> proposals? It's often helpful to look back on prior versions of the
> rules, because they can often change drastically and we don't keep old
> versions anywhere else, but proposals tend not to change very
> substantially, and the mailing list archives hold all the older
> versions anyway... Why bother keeping them all in a database?

Same reason wiki pages have multiple revisions: ease of
rollback.  If the Administrator makes a mistake in applying a
change to a proposal, e can simply blow away the most recent
version and make the change again.  As in, presumably, pull up
version X of a proposal, make changes to it, and save it as
X+1.  Or (most recent iteration of modifications to that
proposal)+1, if the revision is done using a less-than-current
version of X.

Mind you, once the proposal has actually been voted on, I see
no reason to keep the older versions, since the proposals can
no longer be changed. (Though a chain of hardlinks to the
emails that refer to prior versions might be useful, and take
up less space...?)

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt