athena on Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:46:58 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Renumbering CFIs

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 12:13:38AM -0400, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2004, at 5.06 PM, athena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure I understand this whole separate renumbering movement.
> >Currently, the Historical Documents page can summon forth game objects
> >by
> >number. If I put in 200, I get prop 200. If I put in 300, I get rule
> >300. If I put in 444, I get CFJ 444. Now that we have separately
> >numbered proposals, and maybe CFJs, we can no longer do this. How are
> >we
> >supposed to search the archives for these newly numbered CFJs and
> >props?
> >
> >Also, with this prop, the next CFJ will be numbered 1, then 2, then 3,
> >and sooner or later 133. But we already have a CFJ 133, so this is a
> >Bad
> >Idea.
>
> The idea behind renumbering was that then things could be delegated
> easily. For example, I could designate somebody to be Minister of
> Proposals or something, and e'd be able to track proposals using
> whatever system e wants, without needing to worry about other things.
> Under the current system, eir system would have to somehow query and
> alter the main database, because both systems would need to know the
> numbers of objects.
>
> That said, the wiki-based proposal system does break the Historical
> Docs page, and doesn't have a good means of tracking revision numbers
> (it can't distinguish between a typo fix and a new revision).
>
> If you'd rather use the old tracking system with its Historical Docs
> page, then propose to put the numbers back, and I'll start working on a
> way to let everyone submit props to the database without me needing to
> enter them all.

What if we had multiple databases with a common format: one for CFIs,
one for props, and one for rules? Then different Players could take care
of each database, and the web interface could access all of them.

Zarpint