Daniel Lepage on Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:10:38 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: Philosophies

On Jul 17, 2004, at 10.33 AM, Craig wrote:

My only question now is, "What if something important is not updated
before a deadline?" How do we handle this?

We let the Clock keep going, and avoid making deadlines that will ruin
the game if something's out of date.

A deadline for voting is such a deadline, and it is necessarily
existent.

Either that, or we announce that votes begin when the proposal is posted,
and if you don't vote within an nweek your vote doesn't count.

The way I've been trying to change things in my props regarding justice, garbage collection, etc. is to have as many things as possible happen *when a player makes them happen* instead of automatically. In the case of voting, this would mean something like, "If a proposal was made more than five ndays ago but has not be Opened to Voting, its author may Open it to Voting." and "If three ndays have passed since a prop was Opened to Voting or enough players have cast votes that the votes cast by the remaining players would make no difference, any player may Resolve the proposal, causing it to take effect".

If we require people to update displays in order to take such actions, then there's no need for recognition - the point of recognizing is to indicate that the event happened and that somebody (usually Dave) has fixed a PD to account for the action. If somebody has to update things for the action to happen, it saves the admins lots of work.

Perhaps in addition to Ministers and Deputies, we could have 'Trackers' or something like that, where a player gets assigned to a PD and nothing can happen to affect the status of that PD unless the player recognizes it. So, for example, each player would be the Tracker for eir own proposals, and would be unable to amend a prop unless e also changed the PD of it.

--
Wonko

"How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?"
	-Charles De Gaulle