Daniel Lepage on Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:20:15 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] Being an Admin

So I've now had my first taste of Being an Admin, having just entered all the stuff I recognized in the website. I realized that a lot of things could be much easier if a few things were changed...

First of all, if we adopted a standard syntax for creating/amending objects, that'd make things worlds easier.

One such syntax (to rip off Joel's syntax from A Nomic) would be to specify a document of type doctype in <doctype>, </doctype> delimiters, with info on what to do to it in there. For example, you might say

<proposal create title="Let's do that again!">
Do this to the rules:
<rule amend="256" title="Gremlins v2.0">
There don't exist Gremlins. Nyah.
</rule>
<rule repeal="301"></rule>
<rule create title="Repeat!">
At the end of each nweek, all changes made since the beginning of the nweek are retroactively removed and time is wound back to the beginning of the nweek.
</rule>

Give each player 10 points.
</proposal>

Then, rather than picking an object type from a pull-down menu, typing in a title, and copying the main body of the prop, I could just copy the whole block into a text box and hit 'submit'. Then when implementation time came around, I could copy in all the rule blocks and need to do nothing else.

OTOH, the proposal tracker now on the Wiki works; all it needs is for proposals to be numbered separately from other documents. If somebody proposes that right now, I'll be very happy; if not, I'll try to find time to write up a decent proposal before Voting starts tomorrow at 6 PM.

--
Wonko

Honesty is for the most part less profitable than dishonesty.
                -- Plato