athena on Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:04:09 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] Proto-Prop

The Pause is now 4. Before the Pause reaches 5, I will propose the
following. If you see anything at all that won't work, please tell me.

Wonko, you mentioned a clock program. Can you put it up?

{{__Zarpint's Refresh Proposal__

Set the ruleset to the following:

{{

== Rule 0: Emergency Management ==

There exists, in the context of the game that contains this rule (hereafter in this rule known as "The Game"), a procedure called the Emergency Management procedure. The Emergency Management procedure (hereafter in this rule known as "The Procedure") will be followed in the event of an Emergency, as recognized by the majority of the most recently formally recognized body of Outsiders in The Game.

An Emergency, in the context of this rule, is any event or circumstance, not already provided for in the rules of the Game, that prevents the continuance of the Game. Emergencies include, but are not limited to, the following:

- The failure of, or lack of access to, the hosting services and/or equipment used to administer the Game (hereafter in this rule known as "The Host") for a period of seven days.

- The existence of a paradoxical condition that cannot be resolved under the current set of rules.

The Procedure is as follows:

1. Game time is stopped. Whatever means used in the Game to track time is stopped as of the beginning of the Emergency. Pending events and deadlines relative to Game time, with the exception of those specified in this rule, are postponed until Game time resumes. Pending events and deadlines with absolute dates and times do not occur.

2. A Forum is established. The Procedure depends upon the availability of a means for Outsiders and an Emergency Co-Ordinator to communicate (hereafter in this rule known as "The Forum"). If a Forum does not exist or is not available, players will establish one by contacting one another and agreeing upon a new Forum. If a new Forum cannot be agreed upon, the Game ends.

3. An Emergency Co-Ordinator is established. Any Player may be established as the Emergency Co-Ordinator. If an Emergency Co-Ordinator cannot be agreed upon, the Game ends.

4. The Pause is initialized. The Procedure tracks time spent using the Pause. When the Procedure is begun, the Pause is zero; thereafter, until the completion of the Procedure, the Pause is increased by one each day at 00:00:00 UTC.

5. Refresh Proposals are submitted. The Forum will be used to submit, discuss, select and implement proposed changes to the state of the Game (hereafter in this rule known as "Refresh Proposals") for the purpose of either resuming or ending the Game. Players may each submit a Refresh Proposal. Refresh Proposals may affect any aspect of the Game or the state of the Game, including, but not limited to: rules, scores or other player attributes, the valid list of players, the identity of the Host or the Administrator, the legitimacy and/or actuality of any action taken in the context of the Game, etc. Prior to the creation of the ballot, all players may modify their refresh proposals.

6. A first-round Ballot is formed. When the value of the Pause is 5, the Emergency Co-Ordinator will gather all submitted Refresh Proposals into a Ballot on which players will vote.

7. First-round votes are cast. Each player (including the Emergency Co-Ordinator) may cast a single vote to select one of the Refresh Proposals in the Ballot. Votes are cast by announcing them via the Forum.

8. First-round votes are counted. When the value of the Pause is 7, the Emergency Co-Ordinator will count all the submitted votes and announce to the Forum which Refresh Proposal received the largest number of votes. If only one Refresh Proposal received the largest number of votes it is selected for implementation and the procedure moves directly to step 12; otherwise the Procedure continues to Step 9.

9. A second-round Ballot is formed. Refresh Proposals that tied for the largest number of votes received in the prior Ballot will be gathered into a second Ballot on which players will vote.

10. Second-round votes are cast. Each player (including the Emergency Co-Ordinator casts a single vote to select one of the Refresh Proposals in the second Ballot. Votes are cast by announcing them via the Forum.

11. Second-round votes are counted. When the value of the Pause is 9, the Emergency Co-Ordinator will count all the submitted votes and announce to the Forum which Refresh Proposal in the second Ballot received the largest number of votes. If only one Refresh Proposal received the largest number of votes, it is selected for implementation; otherwise the Co-ordinator selects one of the Refresh Proposals.

12. The Refresh Proposal selected is implemented. The Emergency Co-Ordinator ceases to be the Emergency Co-Ordinator. The Procedure ends. The value of the Pause is returned to zero and no longer increments. The standard timekeeping method restarts. Normal [[?!?]] Play resumes.

If, during an emergency, a majority of the most recently recognized body of players recognizes that there is no longer an emergency, the Procedure immediately ends, if it is currently happening, and the Emergency ends with no change to the state of the game.

== Rule 1: The Game ==

The name of this game is C Nomic.

C Nomic is a sovereign nation with territory wherever its player-citizens happen to be. There are two National Holidays in C Nomic on the first (New Nyear's Day) and hundredth (Independence Day) Ndays of each Nyear. [[This puts Independence Day about as far into the calendar as it used to be.]] The sovereign nation of C Nomic was formerly known by the name "B Nomic". Due to its surreal nature, the nation of C Nomic recognizes Salvador Dali as its patron saint and Uin as its patron demon.

The national motto of C Nomic is "C Nomic: It's better than sex." The national language of C Nomic is C.

== Rule 2: Names ==

All distinguishable Game Objects should have unique identifiers. Objects indistinguishable from each other need not have separate identifiers [[So a player's points don't need to be named separately, but different players do]].

An abbreviation or nickname for an object may be used in place of its identifier provided that the context makes it unambiguous which object is being referred to.

== Rule 3: The Ncalendar ==

There exists an object known as the Clock. The Clock always displays the current UTC time, increasing by one hour every sixty minutes. Every ten hours, the Clock resets to zero. Such an event is known as a Winding.

There exists an object known as the Calendar. The Calendar always displays the current date. Every time the Clock Winds, the date advances by a single Nday.

There exists an object known as the Sundial. The Sundial functions in the same manner as the Clock, except that when the Sundial Winds it is instead referred to as a Dawn.

The date is stored as a string of three numbers separated by hyphens. The first of these represents the current Nyear. There is no theoretical upper bound to this number. The second number displays the Season. There are six Seasons to the Nyear, each with a name inspired by the history of C Nomic. The Seasons are "Dave the Admin", "The Grid", "The Cursed Sushi of Babel", "Peter Suber", "B", and "The Persistence of Memory". Each Season consists of four Nweeks, each six days long. The number of days elapsed in the current Season is the third number shown on the Calendar. [[Thus, if it is the second Nday of the third Nweek of The Cursed Sushi of Babel in the Nyear Six, the Calendar reads 6-3-14.]]

At the end of every Nweek, the Clock Stops. This means that the Clock fails to Wind. The Sundial continues to function normally. When the Sundial has marked three Dawns, the Clock Winds.

== Rule 4: Cases ==
C Nomic uses the following case convention: a word that is normally written in both C Nomic and English without a capital letter has its normal English definition, and a word normally written in C Nomic with a capital letter but in English without one is used differently than in normal English.

== Rule 5: Serial Numbers ==

A Revisable Object is an Object that may be modified at any time by the entity which created it.
Every Revisable Object has a unique serial number. The serial number of a Revisable Object is defined as the interpolated string "n/r", where n is the object's unique identification number and r is the object's revision number.

[[Example: The serial number for version 0 of Rule 101 would be 101/0, while the serial number for Rule 203, version 17 would be 203/17.]]

Proposals, Rules and other objects requiring serial numbers are assigned identification numbers by the entities that create them. No two objects of the same type may have the same identification number. These identification numbers must consist of the smallest nonnegative integer that is larger than the largest identification number in use for an object of that type at the time of the object's creation.

When an Object's serial number is displayed, it is acceptable to omit its revision number [[ r ]]. In fact, this is almost expected of objects with revision number zero.

== Rule 6: Proponents ==

A Proposing Entity, or PE, is a Game Object which may issue a Proposal. Any PE may make a Proposal at any time, subject to all restrictions laid out in the ruleset.

== Rule 7: Spivak Pronouns ==

The following table entries, known as Spivak pronouns, shall be understood to replace the standard English third person pronouns with which they are paired. The Spivak pronouns shall be understood to refer to either gender, as appropriate. [[Example: "e" may refer either to "he" or "she".]]
|| || Spivak || Standard ||
|| subject || e||he/she ||
|| object || em || him/her ||
|| possessive || eir/eirs || his/hers ||
|| reflexive || emself || himself/herself ||

Spivak pronouns are to be used in any case where the gender of the referred object is unknown, but if a pronoun refers to a specific object whose gender is known, explictly stated in the game, and unlikely to change, the appropriate non-Spivak versions may be used, if the writer so wishes. (This still allows full use of Spivak, if desired). If any non-Spivak pronoun becomes unclear due to changes in game state, any player may point this out as a Grammar Correction.

== Rule 8: Comments ==

Excepting any text in this Rule prior to and including this sentence, any text appearing within doubled square brackets (" [[ " and " ]] ") shall be considered "comment" text. Comment text shall not have the force of Rule; its purpose is solely elucidative or demonstrative.

== Rule 9: Randomness and Dice ==

Whenever a Player is called upon to make a random determination, it shall be made among all the possible choices with equal probability, or as close to equal probability as is reasonably achievable.
The probabilities of a die falling on each of its faces are considered to be roughly equal for Game purposes, barring any tampering with or obvious deformities of the die.

Dice rolls may be specified in the form xdy, where x is the number of dice, and y is the number of faces on each die. Coins are considered to be two-sided dice. [[Examples: 3d6 is three six-sided dice, 1d20 is one twenty-sided die.]] A combination of dice or the mathematical manipulation of the results of a die may be substituted for a unavailable die so long as the same probability distribution is preserved. [[Example: the roll of a d6 divided by 2 may be used instead of a d3.]]

The official dice roller for this game is "Mr. Dice Roller," at http://www.nomic.net/~g6/die.php.

== Rule 10: Obey the Law! ==

C Nomic is a sovereign nation. Its rules have the force of law. They are the only laws which bind those within the territory of C Nomic. The terms "rule" and "law" may be used interchangably.

== Rule 11: Rules ==

Rules are Revisable Game Documents. Rules may only be altered as outlined by the Rules.

== Rule 12: Self-Reference and Self-Application in Rule Changes ==

Rule Changes that affect Rules needed to allow or apply Rule Changes are permissible. Even Rule Changes that amend or repeal their own authority are permissible. No Rule Change is impermissible solely on account of its self-reference or self-application.

== Rule 13: Abstract Objects ==

A Game Object is anything which exists within the context of the game, that is, its existence must be sanctioned by the ruleset; the term Object shall be an unambiguous synonym for Game Object in all game documents except where specified otherwise. [[Note that this does not require the object's definition to be in the ruleset; an object could be defined by reference to an outside Document]]

An External Force is anything which exists independently of the game.

An Outsider is an External Force which is also an Object. [[ i.e., something that exists outside of the game but is also acknowledged by the rules as influencing the gamestate, and thus exists within the game as well, such as a player]]

A Game Document is a body of text specified as a Game Document by the Rules. Game Documents are Game Objects. [[ which is true by definition, but we might as well be safe and state it.]]

== Rule 14: Players ==

A Player is an Outsider who consents to be governed by the rules, fulfills all requirements for playerhood specified by the rules, and has become a player in a manner specified by the rules.

An External Force may become a Player by posting a message to a Public Forum containing a request to become a player and a uniquely identifying name that e wishes to be known by. It may do this if and only if it fulfills the following requirements:

1. It is capable of passing the Turing Test [[actually taking one is not required, but it must be prepared to demonstrate its ability to do so]].

2. Either it is a Lost Soul, or it is not already a Game Object at all.

3. It has a working e-mail address.

No External Force may be more than one Player at the same time. If it is discovered that two or more Players are in fact the same External Force, they all forfeit.

A Player may cease to be a player by Forfeiting the game; this must be done in a Public Forum.

No restrictions may be placed on when a player may forfeit; any player may forfeit the game at any time (regardless of the clock, the watch, etc.)

When a Player ceases to be a player for any reason, e loses all game defined properties and attributes except for eir Name, and becomes a Lost Soul. Lost Souls are game objects.

Players are PEs.

== Rule 15: Voting Procedure ==

A Poll is an event used to make a decision. A Poll has three primary attributes: a list of Eligible Voters, a Duration, and an Issue to be decided.

The Eligible Voters set is the set of all Game Objects who are allowed to cast votes in the Poll. Each Voter may cast a single vote on the Poll; this vote may be Yes, No, or Abstain (or some obvious variant on one of these words, so 'sure','nay',etc. work; but if it's not obvious what the vote means, it should be interpreted as an Abstain vote). If a Voter submits more than one vote, the *last* one submitted is their actual vote. (so votes can be changed by resubmitting them). The Duration of a Poll is an amount of time signifying how long voting will continue. When the Duration of the Poll Concludes, the Issue is resolved. The Issue is said to have Passed if more Yes votes than No votes were cast on the Poll; otherwise, it Fails.

Polls are only called when specified by the rules. If a poll is called, but no list of Eligible Voters is specified for it, it is assumed that all Players are Eligible Voters, and nothing else is. If a Poll is called, but no Duration is specified, it is assumed that the Duration is until the end of the current Nweek.

A. Types of Durations

The Duration of a Poll may be any of the following:

1. An absolute point in ntime [[such as "the second Nday of the third Nweek of The Cursed Sushi of Babel in the Nyear Six at seven thirty-two" or "6-3-14 at 7:32"]]. In this case, the Duration Concludes at that point in ntime, or, if it has not elapsed but that time has already passed, immediately.

2. A relative point in ntime, such as "three Ndays from the calling of the Poll". In this case, the Duration Concludes at the end of the specified period. A Poll, where is a unit of ntime, is a Poll with as its Duration (for example, a 3-Nday Poll)

3. Either of the above, with a point/amount in outside time [[time on the non-Nomic calendar]] substituted for the point in Ntime. This use is strongly discouraged except in cases where Ntime would be unsuitable.
4. Indeterminate. An Indeterminate Duration does not Conclude based on time. Indeterminate Polls should generally be Short-Circuited (see below), but don't have to be...

B. Special Polls

A Poll may have any of the following optional flags:

1. Straw: A Straw Poll's passage has no effect on the gamestate. Players may not create Polls except as specified in the rules, except for Straw Polls.

2. Short-Circuited: The Duration of a Short-Circuited Poll Concludes as soon as every Eligible Voter has cast a vote.

3. Very Badly Wired (VBW): A VBW Poll's Duration Concludes as soon as enough Eligible Voters have cast votes that the outcome of the Poll could not be changed by the votes cast by the rest of the Voters.

4. Strict: In a Strict poll, each Voter gets exactly one Vote.

5. Concealable: In a Concealable Poll, a Teller is chosen when the Poll is called. Votes may be sent to the Teller privately; when the Duration Concludes, the Teller must post publicly the private votes with the identitities of their casters removed.

6. Semi-Concealable: This is a Concealable Poll, except that at the conclusion of voting the private votes must be published along with the identities of their casters.

[[Thus if Bob the Voting Fish votes YES privately, the Teller on a Concealable Poll would announce that there had been a YES vote, whereas the Teller on a Semi-Concealable Poll would announce that Bob the Voting Fish had voted YES.]]

== Rule 16: Fora ==

A. Actions and Fora

Actions are statements indicating that a player is making a change to the gamestate. An Action may not be made conditionally.

Fora are the means by which Players communicate. All Fora are either Public or Private. A Player using a Forum is considered to be "in" that Forum at the time of its use. An Action is said to be taken when a player states in a Public Forum that e is taking that action. Actions may only be taken in Public Fora, unless there are no extant Public Fora.

B. Designation of Fora

Anyone may call a Strict VBW Poll to designate a Forum. If the Poll passes, the Forum is designated as specified in the Poll. A Forum may only be designated as Public if it is reasonably accessible to all Players. A Forum may only be designated as Private if it is not the sole extant Public Forum. Only through such Polls or through the procedure outlined in subsection C of this Rule may Fora be redesignated. All Fora which have not been designated as Public are Private.

C. Twilight of the Fora

If at any time there exist no public Fora, the Minister of Fora shall take such steps as are necessary to designate one. Designation of a Forum as public when there are no extant public Fora need not [[and cannot!]] be done publicly. Under these circumstances it is also within the power of the Minister of Fora to designate a Forum without a Poll.

D. Restriction of Fora

A Forum may be designated as a Public Forum valid only for certain specific game actions. Said designation, however, cannot leave any valid game actions with no Public Forum in which they can be taken.

E. Private Fora

Any statement made in a private forum has no effect on the game and shall be treated for all purposes as if it were not made, unless there are no extant public Fora.

F. Backup Fora

A forum may be designated as an Backup Forum. A Backup Forum is a Private Forum under ordinary circumstances but automatically becomes a Public Forum if there exist no other Public Fora.

G. The Minister

One Player is known as the Minister of Fora. This player shall maintain a publicly-visible list of all Public and Backup Fora.

== Rule 17: Timing of Events ==

Actions occur upon posting to a Public Forum. Non-action events -- i.e., events not caused by Players -- occur at exactly the times specified in the Rules.

Events may occur only in the present, and may not alter the past.

== Rule 18: Permissibility of the Unprohibited ==

Whatever is not prohibited or regulated by the Ruleset is permitted and unregulated.

== Rule 19: Proposals ==

A Proposal, or Prop, is a Revisable Game Document containing a list of proposed changes to the gamestate, and optionally, miscellaneous comments intended to add flavor. When a Proposal passes, the gamestate changes listed within it are made by the Keeper and its author receives a Bonus of ~1.

== Rule 20: You do NOT talk about Rule 20. ==

Rule 20 has no effect on the game whatsoever. Please do not use this document as toilet tissue. There is no spoon.

== Rule 21: Capital Resources ==

A. Tildex

The currency of the sovereign state of C Nomic is the Tilde. A plural of "Tilde" is "Tildex". A number of Tildex may be denoted as ~Y or any obvious variation thereof, where Y is the number.

~10000 is a quantity known as one Myriad. A number of Myriads may be written as G?? or any obvious variation thereof, where G is the number.

B. The First Bank of C Nomic

The First Bank of C Nomic, also called FBCN, is a Game Object capable of possessing Tildex and anything that is Escrow. FBCN may create or destroy Tildex, but only as specified by the Rules, and under no circumstances may the number of Tildex in existence be more than the greater of 100000 and W + 2(W-P), where W is the number of Tildex in existence at the beginning of the current Nweek, and P is the number of Tildex in existence at the beginning of the previous Nweek. FBCN is the only entity allowed to create or destroy Tildex.

C. The Banker

One player is known as the Banker, or the Minister of the Bank. This player is in charge of tracking all Tildex.

D. Salaries

Upon becoming a player, an Outsider has a Salary of 1. If an entity has a Salary of N, e receives Nd6 Tildex at the beginning of every Nweek. If an entity receives a Bonus of N, e receives Nd6 Tildex immediately in a lump sum, and then the Bonus ceases to exist. A Player may have only one Salary at any time.

E. Taxation

Every Season, every entity which possesses Tildex gives a number of them to FBCN equal to Nd6+12, where N is the number of proposals e submitted that Season which did not pass, unless that entity has fewer than Nd6+12 Tildex, in which case e gives all of eir Tildex to FBCN. When this occurs, FBCN destroys all of these Tildex.

== Rule 22: Post-Win Reset ==

In the event of a Win being awarded, all players immediately give all Tildex in their possession to FBCN, which destroys them. The player receiving the Win gains one point of Respect. Play then proceeds normally, if possible.

== Rule 23: Proposal Voting ==

When the Clock Stops, a Poll immediately opens for every Proposal submitted since the previous time it Stopped. This poll ends when the Clock Winds. These Polls are all Semi-Concealable, with the teller being the player who submitted the proposal [[if anyone feels like trusting em...]]. When the Clock Winds, all passed Proposals' effect happen instantly, in the order in which those proposals are submitted.

== Rule 24: Winning ==

A. Eligibility

A player is said to be eligible for a Win if and only if that player's Respect is a nonnegative number. If a player is ineligible for a Win, that player may not win.

B. Standard Winning Condition

If a player possesses every Tilde in existence, that player is immediately awarded a Win.

C. The Circuit Breaker

After any player wins, no player may win within an Nweek. Any number of players may win simultaneously.

D. Clarification

"win" and "be awarded a win" are considered synonymous.

== Rule 25: Precedence ==

Rules take precedence over other rules with higher serial numbers.

== Rule 26: Precedence Conflicts ==

Rules which specifically defer to or take precedence  over other rules take precedence over Rule 25.
In an otherwise unresolvable conflict between rules, a lower-numbered conflicting rule takes precedence over a higher-numbered conflicting rule, except that this rule always takes precedence over all other rules.

The unconditional permitting or prohibiting of an action is a Blanket Statement; the conditional permitting or prohibiting of an action is a Specific Exception. A Specific Exception for an action is not considered to be in conflict with a Blanket Statement for that action.

== Rule 125: Automation ==

Any action which is required to be performed by a Minister may also be performed by an automated script, program or webpage, or collection of same (otherwise known as a "software system"), acting on the Minister's behalf.

If the action that such a software system would perform is the acceptance of submitted player actions, then for the purpose of that specific action, said software system will be considered a public forum.

== Rule 126: Calls for Inquiry ==

A. Definition

If players disagree about the legality of an action or the interpretation or application of a rule or set of rules, any player may submit a Call for Inquiry to decide the issue. A Call for Inquiry may also be referred to as a CFI, or [[for antique and/or Roman reference]] CFJ, or [[at the request of Dave the Admin]] a Calling of Shenanigans. The action of submitting a CFI may be referred to as Calling Shenanigans.

CFIs are revisable objects, but may only be modified as explicitly permitted by the rules.

B. Creation

Any player may issue a CFI by posting a message to a public forum indicating eir intention to CFI, a statement to be judged, and optionally an argument supporting that statement.

C. Plaintiff and Defendant

The player who submits a CFI is considered to be that CFI's plaintiff. E may, at any time between when e issues the CFI and when it is assigned to a Judge, and only if e has not done so already, name any player as the defendant for that CFI.

D. Rescinding

At any time prior to a CFI's judgement, the plaintiff of that CFI may rescind that CFI at a cost of 3~. If this occurs, the CFI is destroyed and is not judged. A player who has rescinded a CFI may not resubmit that CFI in another form, as determined by the Clerk.

== Rule 127: Judgement ==

A. The Clerk

There is a player known as the Clerk or the Minister of Judgement. The Clerk shall maintain a list of all judgements which have occurred.

B. Judges
When a Call for Inquiry is submitted, the Clerk shall assign that CFI to an eligible player of eir choice, who is referred to as the Judge of that CFI. The Eligible Judges of a given CFI consist of all players except for:

1. The Plaintiff

2. The Defendant (if any)

3. Any players who have been recused from a CFI within the past two Nweeks

If the Clerk is the plaintiff or the defendant of a CFI, then the player with the highest number of Tildex other than the Plaintiff or Defendant must choose another eligible player at random to be the judge, following the same eligibility rules as outlined above.

C. Judgement

The Judge of a CFI may, within seven days of eir selection, issue one of the following judgements on that CFI, and optionally an argument:

1. True: The statement of that CFI was true at the time the CFI was issued.

2. False: The statement of that CFI was false at the time the CFI was issued.

3. Refused: The statement of that CFI is unclear or irrelevant to the game, or neither "True" nor "False" may be logically given.

[[partially ripped off from A and B Nomics]]

This response constitutes the Judgement of that CFI. A Judgement may not contravene any rule.

This ruling shall dictate the manner in which the rules are interpreted, unless the judgement is appealed, in which case the ruling of the Upper House shall dictate the manner in which the rules are interpreted.

D. Recusion

Twelve Ndays after a CFI has been assigned to a Judge, if that Judge has not yet issued a judgement on that CFI, that Judge loses ~1d6, and is recused from that CFI.

If the judge of a CFI ceases to be a player before issuing a Judgement on that CFI, e loses ~1d6 and is recused.

When a CFI's judge is recused, that CFI is reassigned to the Upper House.

== Rule 128: Appeals ==

A. Appeals

Within seven days of the issuance of a CFI's judgement by an entity other than the Upper House any player may Appeal that CFI. When this happens, that CFI is reassigned to the Upper House.

B. The Upper House

There exists a group of players called the Upper House. The Upper House consists of every player who hasn't been recused from any CFI within the past two Nweeks.

C. Upper House Judgement

When a CFI is assigned to the Upper House, all members of the Upper House who are Eligible Judges for that CFI become Appellate Judges for that CFI, except the original Judge. If this would result in fewer than three Appellate Judges for that CFI, then all Players become Appellate Judges for that CFI.

D. Administrative Judgement

After seven days, the decision of the Upper House shall be determined by the decision made by the largest number of Appellate Judges.
In case of a tie, the Clerk must announce a judgment for them, which the Upper House will issue instead.

V. Overturning and Upholding

If a judgment made by the Upper House is contrary to a judgment made on the same CFI by a non-appellate judge, then the original Judgment is said to be overturned; if the two judgments are the same, the original one is said to be upheld.

VI. Voluntary Declining

Any Appellate Judge may decline to issue a ruling on an appealed CFI. No Player shall suffer any penalty for so declining.

== Rule 129: The Statute of Limitations ==

10 days after a Minister, acting in eir official capacity, in a message to all players, makes any statement about the rules or game state, the rules and gamestate shall be altered to what they now would be had that statement been true at the time it was made, unless in the intervening time any player objects to the statement in a message to all players, in which case the usual methods for determining the current rules and game state shall apply.

== Rule 151: Name Changes ==

A player may change eir own name at any time by a post to the public forum. No player may change eir name to that of an entity defined in a current proposal.

== Rule 154: Dimensions ==

A. Definitions

A Dimension is any numerical attribute of Players which is defined as a Dimension by the rules. A Dimension can in general have any real number as its value, although specific Dimensions may have restrictions imposed on the range of values they can take.

Each Player in the game has a value for each Dimension. If a value has not been set or defined for a given Player's given Dimension, it is set to 0.

Players who have every Dimension at 0 are said to be at the Origin. The Origin is Full Of Stars.

B. Existing Dimensions

The following Dimensions exist:

B.1. Wealth

A player's Wealth is equal to the number of Tildex e possesses. It may never be less than zero.

B.2. Respect

A player gains a point of Respect whenever e wins.

If a player's Respect exceeds all other players' respect by at least 5, that player gains the title "Respected One". If at any time, the Respect of a player who has the title "Respected One" fails to meet the aforementioned condition, that player loses the title "Respected One".

== Rule 204: Thou Shalt Not Screw With Time ==

A proposal shall not, by its adoption, have any retroactive effect on actions, proposals, rules, CFJs, or game state. A rule shall not change any actions which occurred before its adoption or alter any game state at a time before its adoption. However, a rule may allow changes to actions, proposals, rules, CFJs, or any other aspect of game state, so long as the point in time to be changed (if the time is an interval, the beginning of that interval is to be used) is after the time of adoption of the rule.

== Rule 217: Standard Delimiters ==

The character sequences '{{' and '}}' (without the single quotes) may be used in the text of any Action, Proposal, or Rule [[ yay recursion ]] to mark the beginning and end, respectively, of text that should be set apart, such as the text of a Proposal or Rule, or an amendment to either one. If it is not explicitly specified that these character sequences mean something else, they are considered to delimit text in that way.

However, these standard delimiters are not required to be used in any circumstance; any method of delimiting text in which it is reasonably clear where the text begins and ends is sufficient.

The character sequence '/*' (again without the single quotes) delimits the title of a Rule or Proposal; the title begins after the first '*/' and ends before the second one. The title is applied to whatever Rule or Proposal has most recently been introduced in the text of the message. If it appears after the opening delimiter for the Rule or Proposal it should be applied to, it is removed from the text of that Rule or Proposal and made to be its title.

== Rule 255: Fixing the Ruleset ==

Whenever a Player believes e has uncovered a typo or a spelling or grammar error in any rule, or e sees a way in which a rule fails to express perfectly what is considered by CFI-set precedent to be its intent, e may create a Strict, Short-circuited Poll offering a correction. This Poll has a duration of two Nweeks.

== Rule 393: The All-Important Default Case ==

Players may not change the gamestate. This rule defers to all other rules.

== Rule 396: Quotes ==

Every Player may maintain a Game Document known as eir Quote Book. Quote Books must be publicly available. At any time, a player may add an Entry to eir Quote Book containing a quotation made on a C Nomic related mailing list and a link to the archive of the message it was in.

One player is known as the Minister of Quotes, and is responsible for maintaining the Great Quote Book. This is a Quote Book containing both Entries added by the minister and every entry in B Nomic's Quote Book. It must also contain links to other players' Quote Books.

== Rule 497: Subsections ==

Rules can be organized into subsections for the sake of ease of reference and modification. Primary subsections are identified by capital letters A through Z or the equivalent; secondary subsections are identified by numbers. A nested subsection is referenced by stringing the layers of subsections together with periods ("."), e.g. A.1.15.3 is the third subsection of the fifteenth subsection of the first subsection of the primary subsection A.

Subsection identifiers within a given nesting level must be unique and in order, either alphabetically at the top level or numerically at a lower level; however, it is not required that they be an unbroken sequence within a level.

A subsection can contain any amount of text related to the rule, including multiple paragraphs, but should usually be in the form of complete sentences.

Subsections may also have individual text names.

== Rule 578: Societies ==

A. Definition

There may exist entities called Societies. Each society has any number of other entities associated with it; these entities are called its members.

B. Actions

Societies may only take actions which the rules permit them to.

C. Membership

Each Society is permitted to make any entity a member of itself, if and only if that entity has Applied for membership with that society. Any entity may Apply for membership in a society. Each Society is permitted to make any member of itself cease to be a member. This is referred to as Ousting that member. Any member of a Society may Quit that society; this causes that society to Oust em automatically.

If a Society has no members, it is destroyed.

D. Possessions
A Society may transfer any object it possesses to any other entity which can possess that object. Societies may possess any objects that players can legally possess.

E. Charters
Each Society may have a Charter. A Charter consists of the following things:

1. A list of conditions, and Actions (called Auto Actions) that the Society takes when those conditions are met. If it is legal to do so, when the conditions for Auto Actions are met, the Society takes those Auto Actions. Auto Actions do not take place at the same time that other Actions are taking place or pending (like the actions that happen at the end of an Nweek), they instead become pending until all other actions (except other Auto Actions that became pending afterwards) and their results finish resolving.

2. A list of restrictions on its members. Its members may not perform any actions that the society forbids them from doing. No Society's Charter may outright forbid a member from leaving the society, nor may it impose unreasonable restrictions on leaving. [[ Whether a restriction is unreasonable is left to the Courts, but common sense is advised - giving back the Speeder given out by the society is reasonable, but listing the last ten names in the Siberian Yellow Pages is not. ]] If such a restriction is judged unreasonable by a CFI, members may ignore that restriction.

A Society may change the text of its Charter at any time. Charters may only be changed as specified in the rules.

F. Proposals

Societies may make proposals, subject to any and all restrictions laid forth in the rules.

G. Creation

Once per Nweek, each player may create a new society whose only member is that player. Upon creation of a society, it has a charter.

H. Penalties

If a society is required by the rules to lose a quantity of objects [[for example, if one of its proposals fails and it thus loses ~1d6 at the end of the Season]], and it does not possess objects enough such objects [[for example, it can't afford to pay ~1d6]], then the society is said to have Incurred a Debt of that many of those objects [[for example, a Debt of 6 Points]]. When this occurs,  each Member of the society who has any such objects loses a number of them equal to however many the Society owes. If this results in more objects being given than are necessary, any excess Tildex involved in these transactions are given to FBCN.

I. Compulsion

A Society may force its members to perform actions. It may not force a member to perform an action that member could not perform otherwise. It also may not force a member to forfeit the game or to destroy itself.

== Rule 625: Ministers ==

A. Ministries

There exist Ministers. These are players who also happen to be known as the "Minister of X", where X is any string of text. Ministers have certain duties. The "state of being the Minister of X" is also called the "Ministry of X", where X is any string of text. Any Minister may leave eir Ministry at any time by announcing eir intent to do so in a Public Forum.

B. Wages

Every Ministry has a Wage associated with it. Upon acquiring a Ministry, a player's Salary is increased by the Wage of that Ministry. Upon leaving a Ministry, a player's Salary is decreased by the Wage of that ministry.

Whenever there is no Minister occupying some Ministry, its Wage is set at twenty-five.

Whenever a player is willing to fill a Ministry and be paid less than its current Wage, e may announce eir intent to do so on any public forum. E then announces a new Wage for that ministry, lower than the old one, and occupies the Ministry. [[Yes, you can do this if someone else is doing it but overpaid]]

C. Dereliction of Duty

Whenever a Minister is required to take action related to eir Ministry and fails to do so within one Nday, any player may perform the action as though e were that Minister. The Wage for the ministry is then decremented by one, and the player performing the action receives a Bonus of 2. Whenever this occurs, a concealable Poll may created by any player, with the teller being the player who received the Bonus and the duration being one Nweek. If the poll passes, the Minister ceases to occupy eir Ministry.

D. Existing Ministries

Every Ministry must be listed in subsection D of this rule.

The Minister of Fora, the Clerk, the Banker, the Meta-Minister, the Uber-Minister, Rosemary, the Keeper, and the Minister of Quotes are all Ministers.

E. The Meta-Minister

There exists a Minister of Ministries, also known as the Meta-Minister who is responsible for tracking which player fills each Ministry and what eir Wage is.

F. The Uber-Minister

There exists a Minister of Uber, also known as the Uber-Minister or the Admin. The Uber-Minister acts as though e filled every unfilled Ministry.

G. Rosemary

There exists Rosemary, the Sage, who is responsible for tracking time.

H. The Keeper

There exists a Minister of the Roster, known as the Keeper. The Keeper is responsible for tracking the gamestate, except where covered by another Ministry.

I. Public Displays

There exists a Nomic Wiki. Ministers must keep their updates in a place where any Player may easily read them. The Wiki is recommended for this purpose.

== Rule 636: Keep Your Hands Off! ==

Unless otherwise explicitly permitted by the rules, no player may modify the state of any object in possession of another player, without the other player's explicit permission in a public forum.

== Rule 699: The Slightly Less Important Not-Quite-So-Default Case ==

Any action indistinguishable from a legal action by at least one Player is legal. This rule takes precedence over all other rules except rule 26.

== Rule 814: Offers ==

An Offer is a set of required actions that two entities (Parties) agree to be bound by. A Party agrees to be bound by an Offer when e Commits to it. One Party, the Offerer, Commits to the Offer when e creates it by posting its terms on the public forum. The other Party, the Acceptor, Commits to the Offer when e states on the public forum that e agrees to (Accepts) the Offer. Creating an Offer costs the Offerer one point.

The Offerer may restrict what entities are permitted to Accept the Offer, either by naming them explicitly or stating characteristics that include certain entities; if no such restriction is made, any entity is permitted to Accept the Offer. At least one entity must be permitted to Accept the Offer. The Offerer may withdraw the Offer at any time prior to its Acceptance.

An action that an Offer can require of a Party can be a Gift, a Service, or a Failure. A Gift is a transfer of game resources from the required Party to the other Party. A Service is a game action that the required Party must perform; this game action must be accompanied by a Time Limit before which the action must be performed, and may be accompanied by a Contingency, which is a specification of game resources the required Party must transfer to the other Party if the action is not performed before the Time Limit. A Failure is a game action that the required Party must not perform within a specified Time Limit, and may be accompanied by a Anti-Contingency, which is a specification of game resources the required Party must transfer to the other Party if the action is performed before the Time Limit.

If a Party is responsible for a Gift, or if a Party is responsible for a Service that includes a Contingency, or if a Party is responsible for a Failure that includes an Anti-Contingency, the resources stated in the Gift, Contingency, or Anti-Contingency are removed from the Party's possession when the Party Commits to the Offer. Said resources (known as Escrow) are held by the FCNB until the Offer is Concluded.

If an Offer involves no Services or Failures, the Offer is Concluded when two Parties Commit to it. At that time, resources held in Escrow are transferred to the Parties intended to receive them.

If an Offer involves Services or Failures, the Offer is Concluded when all Services are Performed or Defaulted and all Failures are Avoided or Defaulted. A Service is Performed if the Party responsible for the Service performs the action specified by the Service before the Time Limit specified by the Service; a Service is Defaulted if said Party fails to perform said action before the Time Limit. A Failure is Avoided if the Party responsible for the Failure fails to performs the action specified by the Failure before the Time Limit specified by the Failure; a Failure is Defaulted if said Party performs said action before the Time Limit. Once all Services are Performed or Defaulted, and all Failures are Avoided or Defaulted, if any Defaulted Services in the Offer do not have Contingencies, all Escrow is returned to the Parties that originally provided it; otherwise, Escrow for Gifts is transferred to the receiving Party, Escrow for Contingencies of Defaulted Services is transferred to the receiving Party, Escrow for Contingencies of Performed Services is returned to the providing Party, Escrow for Contingencies of Defaulted Failures is transferred to the receiving Party, and Escrow for Contingencies of Avoided Failures is returned to the providing Party.

A Party cannot Commit to an Offer if e cannot perform the actions in Services that would be required of em, or if e does not have the resources for Gifts or Contingencies that would be required of em.

== Rule 819: Contrary Votes ==

Any player who votes for a failed proposal or against a passed one receives ~1.

== Rule 1251: Parties ==

C Nomic may sometimes be Partying. If Alcoholic Beverages exist, Players may receive unlimited free Alcoholic Beverages whenever C Nomic is Partying. [[This currently has no effect. Players are encouraged to modify this rule so it does.]]

== Rule 1282: Age Groups ==

A player who was a player in the game of B Nomic is also known as a Dinosaur. Players who are not Dinosaurs are also known as Cetaceans.

A player who was a player in the game of A Nomic is known as a Blob of Protoplasm.

== Rule 1318: Precedence and Timing ==

When multiple rules specify that an event takes place at a certain time [[ i.e. "at the beginning of an Nweek" ]], those events occur in order of rule precedence. Conflicts are handled just as any other rule conflicts.

== Rule 1532: Coma ==

If a player has not made any posts to a public forum in the previous 10 Nweeks any other player may create a Strict, Very Badly Wired Poll declaring that player to be Comatose. Should such a Poll pass, the player in question [[the one who might be comatose, not the poll creator]] shall cease to be a player and become a Lost Soul.

== Rule 1673: Underwriting ==

A Society that provides a service to its members that involves the paying out of Tildex may submit an Application for Underwriting. An Application for Underwriting is a proposal proposing that the society be Underwritten.

To Apply for Underwriting, a Society must have defined in its charter the following properties:

1. A clear statement of the activity members of the Society participate in in order to gain Tildex.

2. A Moderator (who can have a separate title in the context of the Society) who is responsible for basic administration of the Society, and who does not participate in the primary Tilde-gaining activity.

3. A means of selecting a new Moderator, should the current Moderator cease to be a member of the society and/or a player in this game.

4. A budget, stating the most total Tildex that can be paid out in a given Nweek by the primary Tilde-gaining activity.

If an Application for Underwriting passes, the Society becomes Underwritten. While a Society is Underwritten, its budget, its definition of its primary point-gaining activity and its means of selecting a new Moderator cannot change except through a proposal made by the Society.

An Underwritten Society can cease to be Underwritten by posting an announcement to that effect on the public forum.

Tildex paid by an Underwritten Society's primary Tilde-gaining activity are paid by FBCN.

== Rule 1988: Base Identification ==

This rule is numbered 1988 and is here so that the smallest unused nonnegative integer is 1989 at the start of C Nomic. [[The ANSI C standard came out in 1989.]]

}}

[[This is what's currently on the Wiki. It's based on Teucer's ruleset
with minor tidying. As Teucer said, it keeps the essentials of the game
without tying it to B Nomic. Note the addition to the precedence rule.]]

Set the Players of C Nomic to the most recently recognized list of
Players of B Nomic, with each Player's email address the most recent
email address e used in B Nomic.

Make spoon-business@xxxxxxxxx a Public Forum.

Make spoon-discuss@xxxxxxxxx a Private Forum.

Set the Wages for all Ministries to 25.

Give the Player known as Zarpint the Incomplete all Ministries.
[[Please take some of them!]

Set the Calendar to 1-1-1 [[Happy new Nyear!]]

When the Procedure ends, make it so that no Player is recognizing an
Emergency, and delete everything from the gamestate except the above
ruleset, Players, Calendar, Ministries, Wages, Fora, and anything else
that exists according to the above ruleset.

}}

Zarpint