Daniel Lepage on Thu, 1 Jul 2004 22:15:15 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: -2

On Jul 1, 2004, at 10.46 PM, Craig wrote:

The best is when you play with players who have no idea what the game is,
and when they ask any questions, you hit them with a two-card penalty
for talking about the rules.

What? Only two cards? Rules questions are worth three under many
circumstances...

You must play a very different version of Mao than the one I learned... the Mao I was taught has very simple rules, which are as follows: 1) At the beginning of each round, each player is dealt 5 cards; the top card of the draw pile is flipped, and the player to the dealer's left begins playing by playing a card if e can and drawing otherwise. Play continues in that direction.
2) A play is legal if and only if ____
3) If a player breaks a rule, e receives any cards e played to break it back, plus one penalty card. 4) The round ends when one player runs out of cards; that player wins the round. E then becomes the dealer for the next round, and gets to create a single rule that will be in effect for all subsequent rounds. E doesn't tell any of the other players what the new rule is, so they must figure it out for themselves.

Rule two can change depending on who you play with; I've often seen a vaguely Uno-like setup, but in fact there need not be a rule at all (as in mini-mao).

Some people also include a rule 5, which states either that questions cannot be asked, or that speaking at all is prohibited.

Any other game called 'Mao' is usually a snapshot of a game that had run for a while; some poor clueless sap joined a game late in and wasn't told how it worked, so e figured out what rules e could and assumed they were constant rules of the game, never realizing that the game was evolving under eir nose.

A game that I think is more interesting is "mini-mao", which is the same thing except without the Uno-like starting rule. In this case, the player to the dealer's left will always win the first round, so it is customary to omit that round and let whoever deals make a rule for the first round.

This is especially interesting because the initial rules don't mention ranks or suits; the game can be played with any sort of card you want - business cards, magic cards, Fluxx cards...

I'm not sure I'd really call Mao a variant on Eleusis, though... Eleusis has but one secret rule, and a lot of complicated yet known rules used to deduce the secret rule.

--
Wonko