Zarpint on Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:45:37 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] ministries

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2004, at 10.28 PM, Zarpint wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Daniel Lepage wrote:
> >
> >> Or, I declare a State of Emergency, on the grounds that we have too
> >> many "public displays" that aren't up to date, and so the current
> >> checking period can never end.
> >
> > The whole point of that rule was that the game has been near death for
> > a few
> > weeks, and that I really think we need to start fresh now. There's so
> > much
> > baggage we haven't kept track of.
>
> It seems to me that if you want to end the game, a proposal to end it
> would be better than a proposal that locks it up as a side effect...

Well, if we want to continue, I'm fine with that. This way, we can't go
on until we continue - either way, we have to fix things.

> > Araltaln, I'm Godel, and I posted a list a while ago saying that I was
> > the
> > only Minister AFAIK. I held nominations, but I didn't hold the
> > election,
> > since I thought we were gonna redo the thing soon. From what I saw,
> > there
> > is insufficient interest in the current Ministry system to elect
> > functioning
> > Ministers.
>
> I don't know which ministries are open/needed... is this on display
> somewhere? (if not, it can go on the wiki!)

Wearing my Godel hat, I'll put it up presently.

> > In fact, I protopropose that we end B Nomic. We can then (informally)
> > agree
> > to start C Nomic with Teucer's, or some other, Ruleset. If we use
> > Teucer's
> > set, I'd like to know how, e.g., the Ruleset is modified when a prop
> > passes,
> > and changes in the gamestate are officially recognized.
>
> I'd rather not end B Nomic, and I think we're certainly capable of
> fixing the current ruleset, if we'd just go ahead and fix things. The
> problem is that new things like the Voting Tokens generate a lot of
> voting work when we haven't yet put anything in place to automate such
> work, so it falls to Dave to manage it. This eats into Dave's time that
> could be spent fixing old displays and whatnot, so we're compounding
> the problem instead of fixing it.

Yeah. Minimalizing the ruleset is a good idea for this reason. Your
minimalization still requires an admin, so continuing our beloved
B Nomic will require extensive rewriting as opposed to starting fresh.

--
Zarpint Jeremy Cook    "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."