Daniel Lepage on Fri, 28 May 2004 00:27:55 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Straw Poll on the Government Turnover

On May 28, 2004, at 12.15 AM, Zarpint wrote:

We really should fix r0 so that refresh props can be modified. And maybe
add a "None of the Above" option which restarts the whole thing.

Well, there is a new kill switch where if a majority of all players declare the emergency over, we throw everything out and pretend it never happened.

In some sense, these aren't actually conflicting ideas... saying
"ministries can be changed quickly and easily" isn't significantly
different from "any player can perform any task". It's just an
implementation detail - we allow any player to perform any task,
provided that somebody else isn't already doing it.

I don't understand how this is just an implementation detail. In 1,
I can do any of the tasks in any of the Ministries. In 2, I can only
do the tasks I am responsible for as a Minister. If you're saying I
can at any point borrow any Ministry, do the task, and return it,
then we have 1 with a lot of excess stuff.

Well, what do you mean by "I can do any of the tasks in any of the Ministries"? If you mean, "I can do any of the tasks even if it was supposed to be done yesterday, I only just decided to do it, and somebody else has already done it", then you're right, the Ministries system is significantly different. And also much better.

What I'm getting at is a system to ensure that we don't have multiple people trying to fill a given ministry at random. And yes, that does mean that you won't always be allowed to do any task. You can do any task *provided that somebody else isn't already doing it*.

The rapid turnovers and small ministries ensure that you'll have plenty of opportunities: if you can't fill the job this nweek because somebody else has already taken it, maybe you can do it in two more nweeks, when their term expires.

Perhaps 'Ministry' isn't a good word for these: they're much less permanent that what we call "Ministries" right now. They're more like 'sign-up sheets'.

The Primary Ruleset Officer (AKA the PRO, or Bono):
<snip>

Do we then have a "Call for Bono" where a Player requests Bono make a
decision, which can be appealled to a CFI? Or does Bono have to recognize
everything the Admin formerly did?

I suppose a "call for bono" would be best. The analogy in the current game is simply taking the action, because Dave's required to recognize every action. This amounts to calling Bono perpetually.

--
Wonko
Estimated amount of glucose used by an adult human brain each day, expressed in M&Ms: 250