Daniel Lepage on Thu, 27 May 2004 15:19:18 -0500 (CDT)

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Nweek 63 BALLOT

On May 27, 2004, at 3.47 PM, Zarpint wrote:

Proposal 1858/0: No Secret Kickbacks (Sagitta)
NO

By the way, Wonko, or should I say 8-9-3, your Uinish trick here won't
work, because things in props don't refer to a player unless they say
"The Player 8-9-3", or they're unambiguous (unlike this prop).

Yeah, I think I'm not allowed to change my name to that of an entity mentioned in a current proposal anyway. I'll change it back next nweek if it's currently 8-9-3; I just wanted to make the point that this prop doesn't necessarily specify something uniquely (I could have made a Club called 8-9-3, or called that my philosophy).

I think that the phrase "['one point']" is a parenthetical expression,
but with brackets instad of parentheses. Since {{ }} are the standard
delimiters, it's clear that what's being added is what's in the {{ }}s.

Why would we assume that the brackets are meant to function like parentheses? Why not just use parens?

Proposal 1859/0: Slow Down (Zarpint)
YES

Wonko, yes, if you were so inclined to do that, I do think you should
be able to stop the game by removing a quote from the page. I think
we would probably hold a vote of no confidence for you after you did so, but I think the game should not proceed if the displays aren't up-to-date.

As far as I can tell, if I went Lurking and forgot to add a quote, this change would force a SOE: your vote of No Confidence wouldn't happen until the clock restarted, which it would never do. I'd rather not stop the game for out-of-date displays until somebody's come up with a way to compensate for problems like that.

I also think it's too vague as it stands - all sorts of 'public displays' are out of date all the time, though not all of them relate to our game. If I were to create a new webpage that said "B Nomic Rules: None yet, the game hasn't started" would you call that an out-of-date public display? It's public, it's on display, it relates to the game, and it would have been valid three years ago...

--
Wonko

"If I ask you to pay attention to the weight of your body pressing on your buttocks as you set reading, you will momentarily stop reading."
	-David G. Myers, _Psychology: Myers in Modules_