Zarpint Jeremy Cook on Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:14:38 -0600 (CST)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: finance and such

I misread your original protoprop...what you suggested is equivalent to
expressing all fixed monetary amounts in percentage of total currency
rather than in Tildex, which doesn't cause the problems I mentioned.

Regarding the new version (which was subsequently posted to business),
according to the precedence rule a Blanket Permission does not take
precedence over a Specific Restriction. Printing the money is a Blanket
Permission, and specifying limitations is a Specific Restriction.

Otherwise, writing rules would be hell, and we'd have conflicts all the
time. And we want our contradictions to work, of course.

Zarpint

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, [iso-8859-1] Bill Adlam wrote:

> Zarpint asked:
>
> > What if, under Sagitta's ingenious scheme:
> >
> > 1. The Twiddler spends all eir money on some widget W.
> > 2. When e sees that most other players still have most of eir money,
> > 3. Changes the money supply to 1/9999999999999999 what it was before,
> > and
> > 4. Sells back W at its "fixed" price, which is now worth
> > 999999999999999
> > (or however many nines I typed there) more than before.
>
> I never protoproposed giving the MoT authority to alter monetary
> policy, only to implement it.  E could gain some advantage by selling
> towards the end of an nweek when players have spent a lot of money, or
> buying when they have received a lot, but this exploit is limited in
> scope and equally available to all other players.
>
> E then altered eir finance proposal (albeit in a private forum) to
> stipulate:
>
> > The
> > Basin may create or destroy Tildex, but only as specified by the
> > Rules,
> > and under no circumstances may the number of Tildex in existence be
> > more
> > than the greater of 10000 and W + 2(W-P), where W is the number of
> > Tildex
> > in existence at the beginning of the current nweek, and P is the
> > number
> > of Tildex in existence at the beginning of the previous nweek.
> > When the rules dictate that a player shall receive Tildex without
> > specifying a source, the Basin creates them and gives them to the
> > Player.
> > When the rules dictate that a player loses or has Tildex taken from
> > em
> > without a destination, the Basin takes them and destroys them.
>
> Remember that a later section of a rule takes precedence over an
> earlier one.  So Tildex will be created even if this exceeds the limit.
>
> Sagitta

Zarpint Jeremy Cook    "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."
dynamicwind.com               --W.B. Yeats, The Song of the Happy Shepherd