Zarpint Jeremy Cook on 1 Mar 2004 19:21:31 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Re: NWEEK 58 BALLOT

Well, points here are not zero-sum, and neither are Wins. And I think
the distinction between a competitive and cooperative game is moot
when the game doesn't terminate with a winner.

But one can still competitively try to scam Wins while not caring if
someone gets points from proposals. Suber distinguished between
a Substantive Nomic game, where players tried to win by accumulating
points, and a Procedural Nomic game, where players tried to paradox and
scam a Win.

I would think our game is the second kind generally. And I doubt we
have any direction in this game, or will, except in the direction
of increasing entropy. Long live the increase of entropy!

Zarpint

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Glotmorf wrote:

> On 1 Mar 2004 at 0:15, Zarpint Jeremy Cook wrote:

> > > Because the "Three-Proposal Monte" proposal didn't
> > > pass, so this amounts to free points for Teucer.
> > >
> > > - Glotmorf
> >
> > So what? What's wrong with that? It doesn't cost us anything.
>
> So we've made the transition from a competitive to a
> cooperative game? :)
>
> While I must admit I'm largely a spectator participant these
> days (haven't had the same fire since Glotmorf Rules!...), and
> the idea of a cooperative Nomic is intriguing, it wasn't how
> this game was begun.
>
> Then again, is it time to start thinking about the future
> direction of the game?
>
> 						Glotmorf
>
> -----
> The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
> http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt

Zarpint Jeremy Cook    "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."
dynamicwind.com               --W.B. Yeats, The Song of the Happy Shepherd