Zarpint Jeremy Cook on 29 Jan 2004 14:42:57 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Improving the game

If the sentence is evaluated at all, and I don't see why it would be
because it's just a text string, it should be evaluated in a single
instant, not piecemeal like C. But it's not like the rules are not
unresolvably contradictory as things are now, so why not?

Zarpint
The Style Police

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Glotmorf wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2004 at 18:56, Joel Uckelman wrote:
>
> > Thus spake "Baron von Skippy":
> > >
> > > -Perhaps I should explain why I propose this. It's not just the dead-end decl
> > > aration of superiority it seems. Declaring that B Nomic is better than anythi
> > > ng implies:  B Nomic is better than sex. B Nomic is better than peyote (which
> > > , as I recall, was at least considered for inclusion in the motto). B Nomic i
> > > s better than two other games of B Nomic, both of which are better than each
> > > other and it. B Nomic is better than Rules 10, 33, and 1702. B Nomic is bette
> > > r than the adjective "better."
> >
> > Wouldn't it also entail that B Nomic is better than itself? I think it's a
> > logical truth that for all x, x is not better than x.
>
> Only if both instances of x occur simultaneously.  If, on the
> other hand, the act of looking at x pinpoints it at a
> particular state or moment in time, looking at x twice for the
> purposes of comparing it to itself may yield an inequality.
>
> Consider the following pseudocode statement:
>
> 	if (rand() == rand()) then print "yes" else print "no";
>
> How often would you seriously expect to see "yes"?
>
> 						Glotmorf
>
> -----
> The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
> http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt

Zarpint            "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
Jeremy Cook         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx       --W.B. Yeats, The Song of the Happy Shepherd
grep -r kibo /     "Movements are the problem, not the answer to problems."