Glotmorf on 27 Jan 2004 20:41:05 -0000

RE: [spoon-discuss] RE: [Spoon-business] CFI 1748

On 27 Jan 2004 at 15:18, Zarpint Jeremy Cook wrote:

> No, actually. That commentary explains exactly why Joshu answered "no".
> Asking the question, or worrying about answering it, is stupid - so he just said
> "no". He didn't make up some word "mu" and "unask" the question. He dared to say
> "no". He answered, because a word doesn't matter.
>
> Look at the following translation:
>
> Has a dog the Buddha nature?
> This is a matter of life and death.
> If you wonder whether a dog has it or not,
> You certainly lose your body and life!
>
> Joshu didn't wonder or care.
>
> But "mu" is the Chinese word for "no", so regardless of interpretation of a Zen koan,
> your answer should be taken to mean "no", just as "nein" would.

Last I heard, there was no Chinese word for "no".  Closest was
"bu shi" -- is not.  Though I do admit to not being up to date
on Chinese...Did Mao make a mu?

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt