Joel Uckelman on 18 Jan 2004 20:37:47 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] repeal-o-prop

Thus spake "Baron von Skippy":
> >It's a very long and sordid story. BvS, want to explain?
>
> Anyway, I was walking around his backyard when he tripped on something and fe
> ll flat on his face. Turning around, he discovered a piece of metal sticking
> out of the yard. Once dug up, it turned out to be the plates from the printin
> g machinery that had produced the Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, and Revised edition
> s, whose disappearance had caused Wizards of the Coast to start making new ca
> rds in great quantities instead of tweaking the appearance of the old ones. R
> ealizing that the plates were worth a bloody fortune, I sold them on eBay for
>  93 dollars and a piece of string. The person who purchased the plates paid p
> romptly, so I gave them good feedback.
>
> This purchaser, who we shall call "you" to keep this story confusing, took th
> e plates to your office, a printing press. There, you started mass-producing
> "authentic" old cards. As a result, the value of cards from those sets has dr
> opped 99%, especially since you hired a team of complete and utter geeks with
>  nothing better to do (due to a lack of social life) to handle each card for
> a few hours so they all look somewhat used, making it impossible to tell the
> fakes from the reals, except in the case of Serra Angels - you stopped lettin
> g them handle those after one declared one of the Angels to be his girlfriend
> . Bit of an embarassment, that.

That's hilarious. I guess that's what you get for "investing" in pieces of
colored paper manufactured by a company which specializes in selling
artificially scarce pieces of colored paper. (Not you, personally, but the
general you.)

On the other hand, MtG isn't a bad game, and I'll bet now I could put
together a good deck and have fun for cheap. Ha!