Daniel Lepage on 17 Jan 2004 00:12:59 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Standard Elections: a full proposal

On Jan 16, 2004, at 7:01 PM, Zarpint Jeremy Cook wrote:

How does this rule affect the Minister Elections we currently have?
It looks to me like they're in conflict with this.

Oops. I meant to include something that fixed the Ministerial Elections to use this.

What's wrong with it there that we need this rule?

Well, there are a couple of things in the ministries Election rule that don't work like they should... like the fact that if any two candidates get the same number of votes, the admin gets to pick who wins, and that curious thing about needing a certain fraction of the votes, which either never comes up or does nothing, depending on how you read the rule...

I suppose much of this won't be necessary right now, though - the only things that use Elections are Ministries, which already have an albeit faulty system, and the Council of Elders that I'm about to propose.

And we need
more counting methods than the Borda count. And why is the Borda count
the default, anyway? I like the Hare system, where the candidate with the
lowest vote count gets eliminated, and the votes get transferred to the
second choice.

I assumed others would be added as needed; the only election currently in the ruleset uses a first-past-the-post system, which I don't like at all, and the Borda count is a personal favorite of mine. I can add in IRV if you want.