Daniel Lepage on 31 Dec 2003 17:06:21 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Tafl anyone?

On Dec 31, 2003, at 11:35 AM, Craig wrote:

IIRC, the Chess repeated position rule only applies to a few preceding
turns. Also, in chess, the number of pieces tends to go down as the
game progresses, with no way of regaining old pieces, so at the very
most you need to consider every state the board's been in since the
most recent capture. Then also there's the fact that pawns can only
move foward, so all board states after a pawn move or after a capture
are guaranteed to be different from all states before then.

In Tafl, as it is described here, it is perfectly conceivable that once
a player's pieces have been largely captured, e can repurchase eir
entire army back. Thus, after any given move, every previous state of
the board must be considered, since from every state it is possible to
progress to every other state.

That is in fact quite different from genuine historical rules; my intent was to make it possible for new players to join the game rather than forcing everyone to decide at the beginning of the game whether they would play or
not. There is a thorough discussion of historical Tafl rules at
http://user.tninet.se/%7Ejgd996c/hnefatafl/hnefatafl.html; there is
absolutely no reason to believe that the game traditionally provided a means of recovering pieces. Another reason why the rules are so different is that all players are given an equal footing, whereas the original rulesets had
two players in rather different situations with different goals.

I know that traditional Tafl doesn't add new pieces; I'm talking about your PTafl rules, wherein the state of the board may very well become equal to a previous state. I would say, just let it - the odds that *every* player will participate in a back-forth stream indefinitely are incredibly small. There may even be players, who would place stones and get in the way for the sole purpose of breaking the monotony, players who are, dare I say it... whimsical.

I'm leaning toward the suggestion above of only giving each player one
Hnefi, and removing em from the game once it escapes.

The problem there is that it will be, in many cases, to everyone's benefit for another player to be removed from the game. So why would we try to stop an escaping player? And if there's no incentive to stop an escaping player, what differentiates this from a bunch of people sitting around gaining Tafl points for no reason?

--
Wonko
Award Wonko a Win.