Daniel Lepage on 30 Dec 2003 05:24:15 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Materiel

On Monday, December 29, 2003, at 06:01 AM, SkArcher wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:23:00 -0600, Baron von Skippy <bvs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mr. in a Spacesuit had an interesting idea in terms of having more than one type of resource unit, but tried to develop it in far too arbitrary a fashion. Might I suggest
something more similar to that used in Star Wars Galaxies?

<snip>

-I like your idea, but I worry about the distressing trend toward pre-planning that I'm seeing in this game. The seat of /my/ pants still have wings, what happened to the rest of you?

My wings are on my other pants.

Be that as it may, this seems like a good idea, and one that can be used with my old idea to allow people to make Stuff from a list of components - this organizes those components nicely. So... yeah, I'm game for it. One question, though: Say we have Inorganics->Metals- >Iron,Gold,Copper,Lead,Silver,Zinc,Aluminium,etc... and I want to throw in another layer, say Metals->Valuable, and stick Gold and Silver into it - how is that done, especially if Gold and Silver have lower-level materials beneath them?-

It's really simple - "Make a new Material Entry, Metals->Valuables, and move Metals->Gold and Metals->Silver to it."

If you wanted to be more precise and thorough, you might say "insert two entries into the Material Tree: Metals->Valuables and Metals->Invaluables; move Metals->Gold and Metals->Silver to Metals->Valuables, and move all Metals->* that haven't been mentioned yet to Metals->Invaluables".

So...what should the first top-level categories be? Matter and Energy?

-I suppose so, although Organic/Inorganic might be better unless someone thinks we really might need just "Matter" as a component (maybe in a Mr. Fusion reactor, I don't know).-

To be honest with you I don't think separate matieriels is a good idea, it is going to lead to too much book keeping.

I agree that if we're going to use it like we used the old RUs, we should keep it to basic RUs. On the other hand, metallurgy and alchemy could become a major component of the New Grid, in which case we'd best be prepared for it now.

After all, it's much easier to reduce this system to a single resource type than expand a single resource to cover dozens of subtypes.

If you do insist on developing seperate resource above and beyond standard RUs, may I remind you that you don't have to be bound by real world physics. For all the difference it makes you could call the minerals Baronium, Glotmorfogen and Administratum

I would love to reforge my Master Sword using Uinium - a sword of +8/+8 against Administration entities.

--
Wonko