SkArcher on 24 Dec 2003 20:44:18 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Junk

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:20:26 -0600, Joel Uckelman <uckelman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thus spake "Glotmorf":

I think I'd still prefer cubes.  At a given level you could
define an island of cubes as being isolated all around on up,
so that a mound can collapse in the middle as well as at the
bottom.  You can also create "light wells" that way, such that
if a given XY square is open all the way up, one can recharge
anywhere in it along the Z.  Les'n, of course, there's a bot
somewhere above you hogging all the light.

You just reminded me of an idea I had a long time ago. Does anyone think
that something like Boulderdash would be fun? The players could dig, shove
rocks, collect diamonds, be chased by fireflies and butterflies, etc.

sure. I like the idea of programmable robots tho, and the idea of mining, which was underused in the old grid, could provide some interesting things to do.

things I reckon we should do:

1) make the grid Toroid. moving off the left side makes you enter from the right, likewise with top/bottom. This is to give us a continual world surface and do away with the need for 'falling off' rules.

2) start with just a 2D surface and make the possible operations 'Gathering RUs' 'collecting power' and 'moving 1 square'. Don't yet bother with terrain, just assume that the robots are scavenging RUs on the surface.

3) at (or by) the start of an nweek, each player should have mailed eir robots instructions to a remailer. the remailer than sends the list of instructions to the public forum at the start of an nweek. Instructions then take place at the checkpoints.

We need a way to work out precedence for contested actions;

How about a given action has a minimum power, but the robot can add additional power (up to, say, that much again) to the action. The robot which allocated the most power to the contested action gets to move first (perhaps certain actions would come with a bonus to precedence considerations, or certain robot upgrades can be purchased or created (i prefer created) to add bonus to precedence - go faster stripes add 1 to precedence when moving, a digger arm adds 5 to precedence when scavenging, etc.

I definitely prefer the idea that all of the upgrades and so on have to be produced by the robots on the grid - if we made it so that it was a closed system and released the bots in there to co-exist in whatever way happens. Its a bit Von Neuman machine-like, isn't it?

anyway, thats my tuppence