Daniel Lepage on 24 Dec 2003 16:52:12 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Junk

On Wednesday, December 24, 2003, at 11:38 AM, Glotmorf wrote:

On 24 Dec 2003 at 2:50, Daniel Lepage wrote:

In a setup such as ours, how would script order be determined? i.e., if I and Rob both instruct our bots to move to the same space, which of us
gets there? Or do neither of us do so?

In some ways this reminds of Diplomacy, where orders are written down,
and then all revealed at once. It makes it very easy to set up very
intricate plans, and even easier to knock them down.

The cards in RoboRally all have numbers on them; if there's a
conflict in clock cycle 3 between two cards, whichever has the
higher number takes precedence.

Diplomacy, on the other hand, uses support to determine
precedence -- whichever acting piece is supported by the most
other pieces gets through.

I suppose we could have support in this game (Diplomatic
RoboRally?), though it could also be done randomly, or perhaps
a settable maximum energy allotment for a given action, so
that whichever action can power up more than other actions
takes precedence.

Or we could simply use the supportless rules of diplomacy - if two units without support take conflicting actions, both fail.

--
Wonko