SkArcher on 24 Dec 2003 00:49:21 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Junk

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:26:34 -0500, Daniel Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ok, I had an Idea for what to do on the Grid. The basic idea here is that the Grid is covered with wreckage from the old grid, all compacted and slightly fused together. The junk has varying height, each square having its own height of junk. The junk is separated into Mounds, interconnected sets of squares that all have height. Each square that has junk on it can be tunneled into; but if all the squares of a mound are tunneled, the mound collapses. This can be bad if your bot is under the mound. We each get one robot; the robots dig around looking for stuff, and do stuff with them. There's no concrete goal yet, though it might be good to start with, say, a one-in-twenty chance of finding a Shiny Thing while you dig. The robots are battery operated, starting with 100 units of energy, and unable to exceed 150 units; any robot action takes some energy (moving is 15, digging into a filled square is 20, etc.). They also have solar panels to replenish their power - each robot gains 20 energy back every nweek, unless they're in a tunnel under the Junk.

I have another section to this, which I'm leaving out right now, covering Parts. They're a lot like speeder upgrades - you find them in the junk and attach them to you, and they give you extra functionality. For example, Lithium Batteries might let you store more Energy, and a Big Stick might let you beat up other Robots.
	No hit points, yet...

I quite like this. Have you ever played RoboRally?

The basic idea with that is that instead of directly telling your robot what to do, you have to 'program' it, using a limited selection of instructions (drawn at random on cards), submit your instructions _without_ knowing what anyone else is trying to do, and then the robots try and execute your instructions.

The main problem is if two robots try to enter the same square, or interfere in passing one another, because then the robot keeps trying to execute its instructions, but its in the wrong place...

all sorts of things can go wrong at that point :D

Implementing this in Nomic would need a mailer that would cache everyones instructions and spit them out at a certain time. didn't Joel say he had something like this?

SkArcher