Zarpint Jeremy Cook on 21 Dec 2003 21:30:16 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Response to SkArcher, spell it right guys

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, SkArcher wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:50:44 -0500, Zarpint Jeremy Cook
> <mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Well, Bnomic-Public is a Forum. It is either Private or Public by rule
> > 16 (unless that rule is overruled by rule 0). Actions can only be taken
> > in a Public Forum, also by rule 16 (unless that is overruled by rule 0).
> >
> > So the options are:
> >
> > 1. It's Public (and I am a player)
> > 2. It's Private (and I am not)
> > 3. It's neither, because r0 overrules r16 saying that either 1 or 2 is
> > true.
> >
> > The only textual support I see for any of this is that some actions are
> > taken
> > in it, suggesting it is Public. Ideally we would want case 3, but I don't
> > see r0 saying that the Forum is Public, Private, or neither, so there's
> > no
> > conflict in that respect AFAIK.
> >
> > The best solution, I think:
> >
> > 1. I will be recognized when the Clock comes on, and it doesn't affect
> > the vote
> > either way right now.
>
> you won't be, as you will have made no declaration in a Public Fora. You
> need to post to spoon-business

You didn't address my argument that the Emergency Forum is Public.
Anyway, I will redeclare to spoon-business. (And I wouldn't let 9.8
days go by without being officially recognized.) :)

By intervening time, I meant, e.g., declaring to join the game at time 0,
voting at time 1,
and the clock starting at time 2.

Voting is affected by my status as a player.

R0 exists to allow the game to continue when it otherwise couldn't, like
the Admin being out of contact in this case.

Zarpint

> > 2. Change either r0 to say "This Forum is not Public or Private, and this
> > overrules r16.", or r16 to say "a Forum is either Public, Private, or
> > Emergency" and r0 to say that the Forum is an Emergency Forum. Someone
> > should
> > propose this before the next SOE.
>

> This is certainly is a grey area, which is why I raised the issue (I did
> think about _not_ mentioning it until 9.8 days after you first did
> anything in a public forum and then pulling everything out from under you,
> but I decided not to :P )
>

> > I do think this is a problem, especially because of 16.C:
> >
> > "C. Twilight of the Fora
> >  If at any time there exist no public Fora, the Administrator shall take
> > such steps as are necessary to designate one. Designation of a Forum as
> > public when there are no extant public Fora need not [[and cannot!]] be
> > done publicly."
>
> Rule 0 exists to operate when the rest of the rules break down for some
> reason. If you look at it, our SoE didn't actually do anything to solve
> the issue that caused it. Maybe the whole of the SoE rule needs looking at

> > You're right; it's irrelevant now. I am worried about this problem
> > though:
> >
> > If actions take place when they reach the Forum, but aren't recognized
> > until
> > the clock is On, what happens if in the intervening time other things
> > occur
> > that can be influenced by those actions having taken place?
> >

> The only things that can happen in the 'intervening time' are the
> publishing of ballots, vote results and SoE's. I'm not aware of anything
> else that _can_ happen in the meantime.
>

> > Zarpint
>
> SkArcher

Zarpint            "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
Jeremy Cook         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx       --W.B. Yeats, The Song of the Happy Shepherd
grep -r kibo /     "Movements are the problem, not the answer to problems."