Daniel Lepage on 10 Dec 2003 16:26:23 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Speed Limit, Backwards

On Tuesday, December 9, 2003, at 05:25 PM, Bill Adlam wrote:

Wonko submitted a CFI almost exactly in line with my thoughts :

I CFI:
{{
__Uh Oh__
}}

Another *buzz* question, which Wonko was too modest to raise, is
whether awarding some points counts as 'taking away' no points, or a
negative number of points.  And thus whether e lost 5 (or 55) style.

I believe this issue has been settled already, actually, many nweeks ago when I tried to give somebody -1000 points; it was decided that it is nonsensical to talk about "giving a negative number of points"; therefore it would seem equally nonsensical to talk about 'taking away a negative number of points'. I also refer you to the judgment of CFI 1058/1, wherein Judge Rob states:

Mathematically, the concept of decrementing by a negative number might be valid, but this usage is particular to math and does not make sense in the ordinary usage of the English language. Rules are usually interpreted according to the English language.

--
Wonko
Award Wonko a Win.