Glotmorf on 10 Dec 2003 02:26:09 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] SkArchers extremely clever Insurance

On 9 Dec 2003 at 23:29, Bill Adlam wrote:

> SkArcher wrote *buzz*:
>
> > That was the intention. As soon as a move can lead to a Win, all my
> > points
> > go to the insurance society. I just don't fancy losing 179 points
> > because
> > you old fogeys have been playing for 2 years.
>
> Me, an old fogey? *crackle*  However, I must admit that your action is
> emarkably cunning, and therefore I propose that you be duly hono(u)red:
>
> _Declaration_Of_Extreme_Cleverness_
> {{
> Whereas Rule 1659 empowers B Nomic to reward clever and irritating
> play, and
> Whereas SkArcher has garnered a goodly hoard of points and other
> dimensions through his skillful and diligent pursuit of B Nomic, and
> Whereas it is believed that a player won the game this nweek, and
> Wherelse it is not improbable that a player may win the game suddenly,
> and
> Whereupon the post-win reset comes into operation, and
> Whereby all players must lose their dimensions, even unto the points
> duly allotted them, excepting respect only, and
> Whereat a lesser Player would be disheartened, and
> Wherefore SkArcher has created the Society named SkArchers Insurance,
> and
> Wherein e purposes to automatically vest eir points while the
> aforementioned reset takes effect, and
> Wherefrom e hopes to automatically retrieve them later, and
> Wherewith e as caused irritation to those who did not think of this
> trick, and
> Wherever that may get eim, it is undoubtedly an act of great wisdom,
> sagacity, and smartness, and
> Whereto we hereby award eim the Galactic Institute's Prize for Extreme
> Cleverness.
> }}

I disagree.  It's clever, but not extremely so.  After all, I
created a society a few nweeks ago to hold my points in
anticipation of someone else's win, so that's not new.  As for
the charter itself, it's perilously close to a pseudocode
action: For all possible actions X, if X could cause a win, do
Y.  Which should earn SkArcher a Kick in the Ass, not an
Extreme Cleverness prize.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower