Bill Adlam on 9 Dec 2003 22:25:19 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Speed Limit, Backwards

Wonko submitted a CFI almost exactly in line with my thoughts :

> I CFI:
> {{
> __Uh Oh__
>
> Statement: At the time of this CFI's submission, the score of the
> player named Wonko was not zero.

[post-win reset bit *crackle* snipped]

> Thus, as of the win awarded to either Rob or Iain, all players'
> scores
> became zero under r22/7, including the score of Wonko.
>
> However, at the time this happened, Wonko possessed 292 points.
>
> Under r1248/1, Speed Limit, "If at any time the difference between a
> player's Score and what it was at the beginning of the nweek is
> greater
> than 250, eir score is immediately set to the value that would make
> the
> difference equal to 250."
>
> At the beginning of the nweek, then, Wonko had 292 points. As soon as
>
> the win was awarded, e had 0. The difference between 292 and 0 is
> greater than 250, therefore Wonko's score, under r1248, is set to
> "the
> value that would make the difference equal to 250".
>
> This then leads to the question of what value it is set to - 42 and
> 542
> both fulfill the requirement that the difference between them and 292
>
> is 250. The judge of this CFI is encouraged to explain exactly what
> the
> current value is, as r1248 refers to "the value", when in fact there
> are two such values.
>
> However, in any case, Wonko's score is either 42, 542, or undefined;
> it
> cannot be zero.
> }}

Another *buzz* question, which Wonko was too modest to raise, is
whether awarding some points counts as 'taking away' no points, or a
negative number of points.  And thus whether e lost 5 (or 55) style.

Sagitta