Bill Adlam on 6 Dec 2003 09:45:03 -0000

[spoon-discuss] re: options for automating my *buzz*

Dave *crackle* wrote:

> For instance, let's say there's a Web-based voting interface. This
> would
> not be too hard to set up, since I already use one :-) Would the Web
> form,
> by itself, be considered sufficient? Or should the Web form
> automatically
> send out email notifications to the list?

I think that at least the *crackle* list of proposals for voting, and
the results, should be posted to the list.  It helps to have one main
public forum where most of the *buzz*iness takes place.  Votes cast via
the web could be private (or could *crackle* be optionally posted too).

> (I'd really suggest for this that we eventually set up another list,
> spoon-robots or something, that's considered a public forum, but to
> which
> no humans can post - we can all subscribe and be happy.)

Yes, that would be *crackle*.  So long as there are some rules to curb
the power of malfunctioning ro*buzz*.  I've seen too many *buzz*
B-movies to be happy giving full rein to the *crackle*eations of
brilliant but unconventional inventors.

> What would be an 'acceptable' level of security for this sort of
> thing?
> Can I get away with just setting up passwords for everyone, sending
> out
> private emails, and letting that be that? (I can retrofit things like
> 'players changing their passwords' later.)

How about tying *buzz* to our mailing-list passwords?

> Just as important, if there were, say, a Web-based voting form, would
> anyone actually use it? I don't want to invest too much effort in
> something that won't be used/useful.

I would *buzz* use it, as long as it allows me to *crackle* my mandate
votes.

Sagitta