Daniel Lepage on 23 Nov 2003 02:13:52 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] stealthy subgames

On Saturday, November 22, 2003, at 08:34 PM, Bill Adlam wrote:

Wonko wrote...

I'd still love to see a subgame with Black Press.

Perhaps we could create webmail accounts as and when needed.

True. If I ever have any free time (heh!) though, I might try and write something to govern this sort of communication anyway, since then subgames could be developed where restrictions on communication were actually based on the game itself.

Also, only subscribers can send mail to the list, so we'd have to subscribe a lot of random email addresses.

And somehow we'd have to come up with a way for somebody to figure out who was who ("Well, blue, you ended up 294 points in the red... which one were you again?" "Uh... I was... Rob. Yes, definitely Rob.")

...and later suggested:

In fact, if we wanted to, we could just start a private game on the
DPJudge; it doesn't cost anything. All we'd need to do is agree on
how
the events of the game would influence our game.

Sounds good to me.  I've never played Diplomacy, but always wanted to.
No doubt I'll be thoroughly drubbed until I get to know the strategic
values of places, but that will build character.  (Or I could be a
seasoned player and unscrupulous liar.)

In many cases, the occupants of the surroundings have much more influence on the worth of a province than any inherent positioning, except of course for the Supply Depots, which would be worth their weight in gold if they had a weight equal to that of a lot of gold.

Another interesting psychological game is "Are You A Werewolf?"
(www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Werewolf/Index.html), but that may lose
some of its emotional force when played online.  And a few months ago
someone mentioned Zendo (www.wunderland.com/WTS/Kory/Games/Zendo/),
which I think could make an excellent subgame, if our koans are
literal, literary koans.

Zendo could certainly get interesting; but I suspect that the set of all possible literary koans is large enough as to make the game unplayable with them, for many of the same reasons why EleusisNomic collapsed.

As for the other, as far as I can tell, "Are you a Werewolf?" is basically just Mafia with funny pictures; I seem to recall we discussed that at some point but the idea never really caught on. I'd say that that discussion was before you started watching, but if you read the discussion about Zendo way back when, it's not out of the question that you could've been there too...

Sagitta

P.S. Am I allowed to post HTML here?  It would be convenient to be able
to hyperlink.

Most mail clients will automatically make a link out of something like http://www.sluggy.com ; the important thing is to make sure that you don't have trailing punctuation, otherwise your message will route people to the nonexistent nomic.net), for example.

HTML mail is generally looked down upon as being much uglier, and at some point we actually had at least one player for whom HTML mail didn't work well, so it's been banned. I'm not sure whether Dave would allow Kicks in the Ass based on HTML sent to spoon-discuss, since discussion lists are generally immune to that sort of restriction, but you'd certainly irritate everyone.

--
Wonko